Javier, Kernels Blast Lugnuts for 14-7 Win
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Wander Javier collected a career-high two home runs and six runs batted in Monday afternoon to power the Cedar Rapids Kernels to a 14-7 triumph over the Lansing Lugnuts in front of 2,518 fans at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Cedar Rapids (14-10, 53-41) picked up a 2-1 series win for its seventh consecutive series victory against Lansing (13-11, 45-48).
Solo shots helped Cedar Rapids build a quick 3-0 edge. Spencer Steer led off the first inning with a home run to left field. Alex Isola deposited a leadoff round-tripper to the Plumbers & Pipefitters Pavilion in the second, and Steer provided an RBI single later in the frame.
Lansing rallied for a brief 4-3 lead during the top of the fourth. Johnny Aiello secured a 16-game on-base streak by hitting a game-tying, three-run clout. Hagen Danner reached on a two-base error and scored on D.J. Neal's one-out single.
The Kernels answered with eight runs in their half of the inning and took an 11-4 advantage. A bases-loaded double from Gilberto Celestino put Cedar Rapids ahead for good. Back-to-back walks loaded the bases for Javier, and he hit a grand slam over the 407-foot mark in left-center field. Tyler Webb's solo home to left field capped the scoring within the fourth.
The Lugnuts played long ball during the fifth and eighth innings and sliced their deficit to 11-7. Griffin Conine cleared the batter's eye on a two-run, fifth-inning jack. Otto Lopez snuck a solo drive inside the left-field foul pole to open the eighth.
Javier pushed Cedar Rapids to its winning margin of 14-7 in the bottom of the eighth inning. Following Gabe Snyder's leadoff bomb to center field and a single from Jared Akins, Javier lifted a no-doubter to 8th Avenue beyond left field. He also posted the first four-hit game for the Kernels this season. Prior to Monday's rubber game, he was hitless in five consecutive appearances.
Nate Hadley (1-0) was credited as the winning pitcher while Troy Miller (3-4) was saddled with the loss. Hadley gave up two hits but did not allow any runs in relief. Miller yielded six runs over three-plus innings pitched.
After a travel day Tuesday, the Kernels will face the Lake County Captains at 7:00 p.m. ET (6:00 p.m. CT) Wednesday night in the opener of a six-game road swing. Cedar Rapids right-hander Tyler Palm (1-5, 4.21) and Lake County right-hander Luis Oviedo (6-5, 5.40) are the probable pitchers. Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the contest online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Cedar Rapids will be back at home from Wednesday, July 24 through Monday, July 29. Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Snappers' Road Trip Ends On Sour Note - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars End Road Trip with Bang - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Complete Series Sweep over Beloit with 9-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Use Three Pitchers in 9-1 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kai-Wei Teng Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Swipe Finale from Cubs 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Sweep Timber Rattlers With 8-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Fort Wayne Ends Trip With Extra-Inning L - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Come up a Touchdown Short, 14-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Win Extra-Inning Game and Series in South Bend - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Drops Final Game of Road Trip with 8-4 Loss to Hot Rods - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LumberKings Complete Sweep with 11-inning Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Javier, Kernels Blast Lugnuts for 14-7 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whalen Collects Two Hits Monday for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Monday Matinee Victory - Great Lakes Loons
- Schneemann Wins Player of the Week Honors - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Lose to Captains 5-2 Late in Game - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits to Host Child Safety Night at Modern Woodmen Park on Friday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 15 at Clinton (Game 92) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks