Monday Matinee Victory
PEORIA, Ill. - Another steamy day in central Illinois brought another victory for the Great Lakes Loons on Monday afternoon. After two high-scoring games to begin the series, a pitcher's duel took center-stage in the rubber match at Dozer Park. Jose Martinez led the way for the Loons in a 3-1 win over the Peoria Chiefs.
Martinez (W, 7-1) backed-up a career-high seven innings his last time out with another seven-inning performance on Monday. The 20-year-old allowed just one run as he struck out a season-high seven.
The Loons and Chiefs played scoreless into the sixth inning when Peoria was first to break through on an RBI-single for Ivan Herrera. In the next half inning, Tre Todd hit his first home run of the year for Great Lakes to tie the game. In the eighth inning, the Loons stepped in front thanks to consecutive run-scoring fielder's choices by Todd and Josh McLain.
Peoria has been a struggling pitching staff in the second half but coincidentally enough the Loons took advantage of one of their best arms in the victory. Southpaw Evan Sisk (L, 1-5) came into the game with a 2.54 ERA but gave up three runs on five hits in less than two innings.
After beginning last week with an 8-10 record post All-Star Break, the Loons 5-1 road trip gives them a bit of a cushion above the .500 mark heading into a homestand against Clinton (Marlins) and Burlington (Angels) this week. First, the Loons enjoy an off-day on Tuesday then get back to baseball on Wednesday with first pitch at Dow Diamond scheduled for 7:05 p.m. EDT.
July 17: Grand Slam Game
July 18: Christmas in July
July 19: Latino Night w/ FIREWORKS
July 20: 9 Innings of Winning w/ Zooperstars! and FIREWORKS
July 21: Inclusion Day
July 22: Skip Work Day
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Snappers' Road Trip Ends On Sour Note - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars End Road Trip with Bang - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Complete Series Sweep over Beloit with 9-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Use Three Pitchers in 9-1 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kai-Wei Teng Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Swipe Finale from Cubs 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Sweep Timber Rattlers With 8-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Fort Wayne Ends Trip With Extra-Inning L - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Come up a Touchdown Short, 14-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Win Extra-Inning Game and Series in South Bend - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Drops Final Game of Road Trip with 8-4 Loss to Hot Rods - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LumberKings Complete Sweep with 11-inning Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Javier, Kernels Blast Lugnuts for 14-7 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whalen Collects Two Hits Monday for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Monday Matinee Victory - Great Lakes Loons
- Schneemann Wins Player of the Week Honors - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Lose to Captains 5-2 Late in Game - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits to Host Child Safety Night at Modern Woodmen Park on Friday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 15 at Clinton (Game 92) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.