TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (24-35, 57-70) @ Dayton Dragons (26-33, 54-75)
RHP Adrian Martinez vs. RHP Clate Schmidt
Friday, Aug. 23 - Fifth Third Field (Dayton, OH) - First Pitch 7 PM (Game 128 / 138)
LISTEN: John Nolan & Evan Stockton (espnfortwayne.com)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps dropped game two of a three-game series at the Dayton Dragons, 7-2.
MAKING HIS MARK: Shortstop Tucupita Marcano made SportsCenter on Monday night for a behind-the-back flip to second base for a force-out in the 8th inning. It was No. 7 on Top 10 Plays... On June 26, Luis Almanzar made a diving catch at first base that landed at No. 2... In 2017, Fernando Tatis Jr. had 2 catches at shortstop make SC Top Plays, while Reinaldo Ilarraza had 1... Marcano has the lowest K% in the MWL at 9.1%. He has the 4th lowest swinging strike% (4.6%). With 33 walks against only 43 strikeouts, his BB/K ratio (0.77) ranks tied for 7th. Marcano smacked a double and a triple on Tuesday night, his team-leading 35th multi-hit game of the season. It was also Marcano's fourth game with two extra-base hits this season.
MARTY PARTY: Right-handed pitcher Adrian Martinez has been nearly unhittable since July 7. In 11 appearances since that time, Martinez has posted a tiny ERA of 1.63 in 27.2 IP with 27 strikeouts. His WHIP of 0.87 and his opposing BA is .183. Martinez is making his third consecutive start tonight - in his prior two starts, the normal reliever has allowed four runs in 9.2 IP with 8 strikeouts. Further information on Martinez can be found on his pitcher's page later on in the game notes.
HOT CURRY: Left fielder Michael Curry had a season-best 8-game hitting streak and a season-long 12-game on-base streak snapped on Wednesday night... In 64 games since May 26, Curry's .896 OPS is 2nd in the MWL to only Lansing's Griffin Conine. Curry's .315 AVG and .412 OBP are also second in the Midwest League....Curry's .484 SLG is 3rd to just Conine and Gabriel Moreno...During his 8-game hitting streak, Curry was batting .481 with an OPS of 1.255...The former Georgia Bulldog had two hits in four straight games.
SKEND IT IN, ETHAN: Infielder Ethan Skender has hits in each of the first two games of the series, including a two-run single in the 7th inning on Wednesday night. Since joining the TinCaps on July 14th (32 games), Skender is slashing .317/.388/.433 with 6 doubles, a triple, 2 home runs and a team-high 23 RBIs.
JUST INFORMATION: Over his last 28 games (since July 21), second baseman Justin Lopez has slashed .306/.348/.472 (.820 OPS) with 9 doubles, 3 homers, and 14 RBIs... Lopez went 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored on Wednesday night, his 20th multi-hit game of the season...Lopez, 19, is 1 of only 3 teenagers in the MWL with 11 home runs this season. The others are Burlington infielder Kevin Maitan, the No. 24 Angels prospect, and Lansing catcher Gabriel Moreno, the No. 9 Blue Jays prospect.
DWS, OBP: Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton leads the MWL in OBP (.408)... The outfielder went 2-for-4 on Thursday night, including a towering two-run home run that sailed well past the left field fence...He also leads the league in HBP (29), setting a single-season franchise record. That includes being hit by 4 pitches in a game against Cedar Rapids on July 22 (which tied a MiLB record and has never happened before in a MLB game). The previous franchise record for HBP in a season was 23... Williams-Sutton ranks 6th in the MWL in BB% (14.6%)... His 134 wRC+ is tops in the league among active players. (wRC+ is a stat to estimate a player's offensive contribution.)
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris ranks 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 29. He's the only player in the league who's stolen more than 22 bases while be caught stealing fewer than 5 times... Harris ranks 0th in the MWL in BB% (14. %)....He enters tonight's game on a four-game hitting streak, including going 2-for-3 plus a walk on Thursday night. Harris has multi-hit games in three of his last four games for the first time all season.
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have issued the fewest walks in the MWL this season, averaging just 3.0 per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.08).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Minor League Baseball President Pat O'Conner Visits Parkview Field During Midwest League Fall Meetings
- TinCaps to Enhance Parkview Field Experience in 2020
- Former Fort Wayne Players in 2019 MLB Postseason
- 57 Former Fort Wayne Players in Major Leagues in 2019
- Fort Wayne Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Patriot Award