Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars
(Eastlake, OH) - Richard A. Nussbaum II, President of the Midwest League of Professional Baseball Clubs, Inc., today announced the 2019 Midwest League Post-Season All-Star selections, as voted on by the Field Managers of the 16 Midwest League member clubs. Two members of the 2019 Captains, outfielder Will Benson and left-handed reliever Skylar Arias, were honored for their performances.
Benson, a mid-season All-Star two years running, cracked 18 home runs over just half a season with Lake County. The Indians' 2016 first round pick was promoted to High-A Lynchburg after winning three MWL Player of the Week honors. At the time of his promotion, Benson led the league in homers, slugging percentage (.604), OPS (.975), RBI (55) and total bases (131). His home run total is still second in the league, even though he has not played in the MWL since the All-Star Break.
Benson, 21, made history on April 18 when he became the first Captain and the fifth player in Midwest League history (fourth in regular season play) to hit four home runs in one game. The Atlanta, GA native went deep four times against the Cubs at Classic Park, including a grand slam.
Arias, 22, posted a 1.79 ERA across 60.1 innings for the Captains. The southpaw surrendered a miniscule .173 batting average against Midwest League hitters. Arias, selected by the Indians in the 24th round of the 2016 draft out of Tallahassee Community College, struck out 71 men and walked 30 before being promoted to High-A. His 27.8% strikeout rate is good for 16th in the league (minimum 60 IP).
Information about Classic Park or the Captains can be found online at www.captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Affordable ticket packages and group party and picnic options are available now.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Captains Promote Jen Yorko to General Manager; John Klein and Tim O'Brien Promoted to Assistant General Manager Roles
- Free Post-Season Events at Classic Park
- Loons Eliminate Captains in Game Three
- Captains Survive, Force Game Three
- Captains Drop Playoff Opener to Loons