Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team
Bowling Green, KY - Richard A. Nussbaum II, President of the Midwest League of Baseball Clubs, has announced Caleb Sampen, Chris Betts, and Wander Franco were named to the Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team on Friday. Franco earned Prospect of the Year honors while all three players earned their second All-Star nod in the Midwest League this season. The team was selected by the Field Managers of the sixteen Midwest League member clubs.
Franco, Minor League Baseball's top-rated prospect, played in 62 games with the Hot Rods this season prior to his promotion to A-Advanced Charlotte. The switch hitter batted .318 while hitting six home runs while leading the team with five triples. Franco scored 42 runs while driving in 29 RBIs, all while walking 30 times with just 20 strikeouts. The shortstop's .390 OBP is one of the highest marks in the league. Franco, just 18-years-old, becomes a three-time All-Star while also having played in the Futures Game this season after joining the Stone Crabs.
Sampen earned his second All-Star nod of the season after posting a 9-4 record with a 2.75 ERA through 21 starts for the Hot Rods. Sampen was traded to the Rays in the offseason and has been an anchor in the Hot Rods staff in 2019, currently leading the league with a 2.75 ERA. He's tied for second in wins while logging 118.0 innings this season, the fourth-most in the league. The righty is also tied for first in batting average allowed, holding opposing offenses to a .209 batting average with a 1.03 WHIP, good for second in the league.
The Hot Rods catcher, Betts, earned DH honors in the Post-Season All-Star voting. The lefty is tied for second in home runs this season with fellow All-Star Will Benson (Lake County) at 18 which is also the fourth-best mark for a single season in Hot Rods history. Betts' 68 RBIs lead the Eastern Division and has the third-most walks in the league with 66, a number that ties him for fifth-most in a single season for the Hot Rods.
Sampen, Betts, and the rest of the 2019 Hot Rods return home on Saturday to begin the final homestand of the regular season with a 6:35 PM first pitch against the South Bend Cubs. Tickets for the seven-game homestand are available now by calling the Hot Rods front office at 270-901-2121 or by visiting www.bghotrods.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020