Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win
CLINTON, IA - For the first time since 1999 the Clinton LumberKings swept the Cedar Rapids Kernels in a three-game series with a 6-3 win on Friday night at NelsonCorp Field. Kameron Misner drove home three runs with a 3-for-3 night that included a double, a walk, and a run scored.
Scoring started early as Clinton (37-23, 70-59) came from behind twice against Kernels (32-28, 71-59) early offense. In the top of the first, a pair of one out walks by Alberto Guerrero led to a Matt Wellner RBI double into the right field corner.
The LumberKings answered back in the bottom of the first for their first comeback of the night. After Cedar Rapids starter Tyler Palm struck out the first two batters he faced, Peyton Burdick singled and was forced home by the first of Misner's three RBI hits on a run scoring double.
The game remained tied until Wellner put Cedar Rapids on top for the final time. He slugged a two-run run homer to right that proved to be the final runs allowed by Guerrero (8-6) of the night.
Again, Clinton came from behind to tie the score in the bottom of the inning. RBI singles by Burdick and Misner pulled the LumberKings even at three runs apiece.
Guerrero earned the win for a 5.2 inning performance. Allowing three runs on four hits while walking two and striking out six.
Clinton took the lead for good in the bottom of the fifth. Christopher Torres singled with one out and scored three batters later on a Misner RBI single to center.
For his time, Palm (3-9) was hung with the loss. He worked five innings, allowing four runs on eight hits while walking one and striking out four.
The LumberKings added a pair of runs in the bottom of the eighth to claim their largest lead of the night. Evan Edwards singled home the first run and Brayan Hernandez added the second run with a safety squeeze to first.
Zach Wolf preserved the win with his team leading 13th save of the year. He retired Matt Wallner on a ground out to end the game with runners at first and second.
The win completes a three-game series sweep of the Kernels that marks the first time they have done so in Clinton against Cedar Rapids since June of 1999. In addition, the LumberKings magic number to clinch a playoff spot is now eight.
The LumberKings will open a four-game series with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Saturday night. Clinton will throw righty Remey Reed (3-2, 3.65) while Wisconsin will tap lefty Nick Bennett (1-0, 1.69). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
One of the most important series of the season opens on Saturday night with the first game of a four-game series with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. Clinton opens their final series of the year with Wisconsin as the leader of the Wild Card with the Timber Rattlers right behind them.
During the game, enter our raffle for a chance to win a Bud Light mini fridge. After the game, stay for a postgame concert in the Dr. Pepper Picnic Garden by Moonshine Run!
See Sauk Valley Media for a special offer on tickets to this series opening tilt as part of Sauk Valley Media Night.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th
- Paul Davis Scholarship Announced