'Caps Win Finale in Dayton
DAYTON, Ohio - The TinCaps beat the Dayton Dragons (Cincinnati Reds affiliate), 7-4, on Friday night at Fifth Third Field.
The TinCaps (25-35, 58-70) took an early 2-0 lead, plating single runs in the first and third innings. Tucupita Marcano drove in Ethan Skender with an RBI single in the first, while Justin Lopez scored in the third when Michael Curry smacked a double deep into the right-field corner. Curry has hits in nine of his last ten games.
From there, both starting pitchers settled into an old-fashioned pitcher's duel. Clate Schmidt went quality six innings for the Dragons (26-34, 54-76), striking out six while allowing just the two runs on three hits.
Adrian Martinez was even better for the TinCaps, going 5 2/3 scoreless innings with seven strikeouts. In 12 total appearances (three starts) since July 7, Martinez has posted a miniscule ERA of 1.35 in 33 1/3 innings with 34 strikeouts.
The 'Caps busted the game wide open in the seventh, plating four runs on four hits plus a sacrifice fly. Marcano, Lopez, and Curry all drove in runs in the pivotal seventh inning. Fort Wayne added another run in the eighth on a Skender RBI single.
Dayton made it interesting late with a run in the eighth, three in the ninth, and brought the tying run to the plate before falling.
Saturday, Aug. 24 @ West Michigan (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ryan Weathers
- Whitecaps Probable Starter: RHP Wilkel Hernandez
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.