Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night
CLINTON, IOWA - Matt Wallner collected his first Midwest League home run Friday at NelsonCorp Field and drove in all three runs for the Cedar Rapids Kernels, but the Clinton LumberKings picked up a 6-3 win along with a three-game sweep. Cedar Rapids (32-28, 71-59) still won the season series with Clinton (37-23, 70-59) by a 9-7 margin.
Wallner and Kameron Misner traded RBI doubles in the first inning. Gabe Snyder and Wander Javier drew back-to-back walks before Wallner's double drove in Snyder. Clinton pulled even, 1-1, when Peyton Burdick singled and scored on a double from Misner.
A tiebreaking blast by Wallner lifted Cedar Rapids to a 3-1 lead within the top of the third. Javier's two-out single extended the inning. Wallner crushed a two-run homer to right field for his seventh professional round-tripper.
The LumberKings quickly tied the contest at 3-3 during their half of the third. Back-to-back RBI singles for Burdick and Misner leveled the score.
Misner came through again in the fifth inning to give Clinton its first lead at 4-3. With two outs and runners at the corners, he singled to bring in Christopher Torres for the decisive run.
Insurance runs increased the advantage to 6-3 LumberKings within the eighth. Misner scored on an RBI single by Evan Edwards, and Will Banfield came home during a squeeze bunt from Brayan Hernandez.
Alberto Guerrero (8-6) notched a game-high six strikeouts over 5.2 innings in a winning decision. Cam Baird and Peyton Culbertson each received credit for holds while Zach Wolf tallied his Western Division-high 13th save. Tyler Palm (3-9) surrendered four runs in five innings and was saddled with the loss.
Coming up, Cedar Rapids will host the Peoria Chiefs at 6:35 p.m. Saturday evening to open a seven-game homestand. Kernels right-hander Andrew Cabezas (5-7, 3.94) will square off with Chiefs right-hander Dalton Roach (1-1, 4.95). Fans unable to attend the contest can follow the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
Postgame fireworks, presented by Special Olympics, are scheduled as part of Cargill/Special Olympics Night. A huge silent auction will take place on the concourse during the game to support Special Olympics. Saturday is also Host Family Recognition Night.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.