Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County
BELOIT, WI - In a close pitcher's duel for most of the game, Beloit used some late-inning heroics to defeat the Cougars by a score of 5-2. The Snappers bats erupted for a 4-run eighth to propel Beloit to the victory and avoid the sweep.
Kane County would open up the scoring with an early run right out of the gates. However, the Beloit pitching would then lock down and surrender just 1 run the rest of the night allowing the bats to get going.
Beloit would even up the score immediately following the Kane County run with a run of their own in the bottom half of the first. In the inning, Max Schuemann would earn a one-out double and then come home to score after a rundown at first base to even the game at 1.
Then, Beloit would strike gold one more time tonight with a 4-run monster inning in the eighth to not only tie the game at 2, but take their first lead of the evening.
In the eighth, a wild inning would occur all ending up with the Snappers scoring 4. After Devin Foyle reached on a walk, he would later come around to score after a double and an error in right field thanks to the hard-hit ball off the bat of Nick Osborne.
Now with a runner on and the score tied, Osborne would score after a strikeout and wild pitch giving the Snappers the 3-2 lead. Moments later, Beloit would collect two straight hits from Nick Ward and Santis Sanchez to plate two more runs and give the Snappers the 5-2 lead after 8.
Beloit would close it out from there as Joe DeMers would pitch a rather stress-free inning to finish the deal and secure the Snappers victory 5-2.
For the Snappers on the mound, Jaimito Lebron got the opener start throwing the first inning giving up just one solitary run. Lebron's day would be over after the first giving up just 1 run on 1 hit and 1 strikeout.
Bryce Nightengale would be first out of the bullpen after Lebron throwing 3 solid innings of baseball to keep Kane County at bay. Nightengale would be removed in the fifth, but not after turning in a solid day giving up just 1 run on 3 hits and striking out 1.
Last but not least, DeMers would finish out the game earning the 5-inning win coming out of the pen. DeMers would toss 5 scoreless innings while striking out 3 and giving up just 3 hits to earn the well-deserved win in relief.
Beloit will next be in action at home next Saturday when they open up the final homestand of the year against the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Next Saturday is Fan Appreciation Night where we will have Fireworks, our Mega Raffle, and giveaways at Pohlman Field. First Pitch is at 6:30.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362- 2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Vote for Our New Team Name
- Beloit Baseball Begins Franchise Refresh By Collecting Fan Feedback For A New Team Name
- Check out the New Snappers Stadium
- Familiar Faces to Lead Snappers 2020 Field Staff
- Plan for Downtown Beloit Stadium Development Announced Along with New Ownership