Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win
Eastlake, OH- Miller Hogan set a new career-high with 10 strikeouts in the Bowling Green Hot Rods 16-4 win over the Lake County Captains on Thursday night at Classic Park. The Hot Rods improve to 75-54 overall and 36-23 in the second half ahead of the series finale on Friday with a 6:00 PM CDT first pitch in Eastlake, OH.
The Captains took a four-run advantage in the second inning off Hogan, who started for the Hot Rods. Jonathan Engelmann led off with a long homer to left to give the Captains a 1-0 lead. Makesiondon Kelkboom and Billy Wilson both singled for Eric Rodriguez, who hit his first home run of the season into the left-field bleachers to make it a 4-0 Lake County lead.
Bowling Green took the lead in the fourth against Captains starter Shane McCarthy, with the righty leaving the game after an impressive performance. McCarthy allowed a hit and hit a batter but struck out 10 hitters over his 3.1 innings. Aranda singled to left and went to third on Jordan Qsar's double off the wall in right. A passed ball scored Aranda and allowed Qsar to take third before McCarthy struck out his 10th batter. Zach Draper entered out of the bullpen and walked Chris Betts and Grant Witherspoon picked up an RBI on a single to left, making it a 4-2 game. Seaver Whalen walked to load the bases and Erik Ostberg walked to plate Betts and cut the deficit to one. Ford Proctor grounded out to second, plating Witherspoon to tie the game for the second out of the inning. Nick Schnell grounded a ball to Kelkboom at third, but an errant throw to first allowed Schnell to go to second while two runs scored as the Hot Rods took a 6-4 lead.
The Hot Rods extended their lead in the sixth against Lake County reliever Brendan Meyer. Whalen ripped a double to left and Ostberg walked while both scored on Proctor's singled to left to give the Hot Rods an 8-4 edge. Aranda doubled to left, knocking in Proctor to make it a 9-4 ballgame.
Hogan ended his outing by recording eight of his final nine outs by way of strikeout, tallying 10 K's over his six frames of work. The Hot Rods added six runs in the eighth inning with the big blow coming off the bat of Ruben Cardenas who hit a three-run homer en route to a 15-4 lead. Bowling Green added another run in the ninth, going on to win in convincing fashion, 16-4.
Hogan (6-3) earned a win after throwing six innings while allowing four runs on six hits with 10 strikeouts. Nick Sprengel earned his first save of the season, allowing two hits and a walk over three innings of work with six strikeouts.
Notes: Miller Hogan set a new career-high with 10 strikeouts... Aranda extended his hit streak to 14 games... It's one shy of Osmy Gregorio's 15-game streak which is the longest on the team this season... He also had his 12th multi-hit game of the year and third three-hit game of the season... Witherspoon had his fifth outfield assist of the season... Betts earned his 66th walk of the season, tying him with Taylor Walls (2018) for the fifth-most walks in a single season in BG history... Proctor had his 34th multi-hit game of the year... It was also his 11th three-hit game of the season... He leads the team in three-hit games... He also tied his season-high in hits for a game... Aranda tied a career-high with three RBIs and a season-high with three hits... Cardenas tied a career-high with three RBIs... Ostberg set a new career-high with four runs scored... Qsar's three walks are a new season-high... Schnell tied a career-high by striking out three times... He also had his first multi-hit game with BG for the season... Whalen tied his season-high in runs scored with two... Aranda is the first BG hitter to have four knocks in a game since Witherspoon did it on June 15 in Lansing... Hogan is the first Hot Rods pitcher to have 10 strikeouts in a game since Matthew Liberatore did it on June 28 against Great Lakes... The last time BG had 10+ runs in a game was on July 29 against the Captains in a 10-0 win... The Hot Rods finish their three-game set with the Captains on Friday with a 6:00 PM CDT first pitch... Bowling Green will send RH Alan Strong (9-4, 2.97) to the mound against Captains LH Matt Turner (2-1, 2.93)... Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM and the Hot Rods Radio Network on the TuneIn Radio and MiLB First Pitch apps, available for smartphones.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods Will Host 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game at Bowling Green Ballpark
- Eric Leach Named Midwest League 2019 Executive of the Year
- Hot Rods Blow Lead in Ninth, Watch Season End with 7-4 Loss
- Hot Rods Game Notes: MWL Quarterfinals Game 1
- Hot Rods Fall 3-2 in Regular Season Finale