Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale
Beloit, Wisconsin - The Kane County Cougars' (73-56, 38-22) surrendered four 8th inning runs in a 5-2 loss to the Beloit Snappers (52-76, 25-35) on Friday night at Pohlman Field. The Cougars are now just one game ahead of the Clinton LumberKings for first place with 11 games to play.
In the first inning, the Cougars scored first on an RBI groundout off the bat of Tra Holmes. In the bottom of the inning, Beloit executed a first and third stolen base play that brought Max Schuemann to the plate to tie the game. The Cougars pushed ahead in the 4th inning on David Garza's sacrifice fly to make it 2-1.
In the eighth, the Cougars turned to Bryan Menendez. He walked a batter with one out. Then, Nick Osborne doubled to right field to tie the game. He advanced to third on an error by right fielder Tra Holmes. The go-ahead run crossed when Skyler Weber struck out, but reached first on a wild pitch. The third run of the inning came across when third baseman Joey Rose airmailed a throw up the right field line. Santis Sanchez capped the inning with an RBI double.
Bryan Menendez (0-2) took the loss. Three of the four runs in the eighth inning were earned. Joe DeMers (5-4) earned the win with five shutout innings of relief.
The Cougars being a new road series in Quad Cities on Saturday night with first pitch scheduled for 6:35. Follow the action live on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 23, 2019
- "Big Tuna" Pranks Loons in 'Office Night' Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Rally Falls Short, Can't Sweep Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Stubbs Homers Twice as Bandits Win Wild One in Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Completes Sweep with 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Surge Leads Beloit to Victory over Kane County - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Allow Four in 8th, Drop Series Finale - Kane County Cougars
- History Made with Record Crowd - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Holds off Dragons Comeback for 7-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Swept Despite Wallner's Big Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Sinks Captains in 3-2 Comeback Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Win Finale in Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Receive Brito from Vancouver, Neal to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers' David Fry Named to Midwest League's Post-Season All-Star Team - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 24-30 Plus Playoff Game on 9/4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 23 at Dayton (Game 128) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cantillo & Edwards Win More Midwest League Honors - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Franco, Sampen, Betts Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Jake Hirabayashi joins Kernels from GCL Twins - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Benson, Arias Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts' Conine and Finfrock Named to Midwest League Post-Season All-Star Team - Lansing Lugnuts
- Midwest League Post Season All-Star Roster Announced - MWL
- Midwest League announces 2019 Post-Season All-Stars - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hogan K's 10 in Hot Rods Fourth-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Whitecaps Whiff in Thursday Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.