Tides Shut down Charlotte after First, Take 3-2 Win
Joey Rickard reached base safely four times and John Means turned in seven strong innings as Norfolk rallied for a 3-2 win over the Charlotte Knights Monday night at Harbor Park.
The Tides trailed the contest 2-0 after an inning of play, but pulled within 2-1 in the third frame on an RBI groundout by Pedro Álvarez. Norfolk knotted the score at 2-2 in the seventh inning on a sacrifice fly from DJ Stewart, then took the lead in the eighth inning when Renato Núñez plated Rickard with a one-out single off of Gregory Infante (2-4).
Rickard singled, doubled and walked twice in the contest to raise his on-base percentage to .415 this season. He's now hit safely in five consecutive games, and he's reached base safely in 32 of the 33 games in which he's had a plate appearance with Norfolk this year.
Means turned in another outstanding start, taking a no-decision despite allowing two runs on five hits over seven innings of work. He struck out six while issuing one walk - a four-pitch walk to the first batter of the contest - while throwing 70 of his 106 pitches for strikes. Both runs he yielded came on a first inning single by Seby Zavala - a line drive that shortstop Adrian Marin lost in the setting sun. Means retired 13 consecutive batters at one point in the contest, and he capped his night with consecutive strikeouts to strand runners on second and third. Over his last six starts, the West Virginia University product has now registered 39 strikeouts and just two walks while posting a 2.94 ERA.
Tim Melville (6-6) earned the win with a scoreless inning of relief - his first appearance out of the bullpen after 13 consecutive starts. Jhan Mariñez picked up the save with two strikeouts in a scoreless ninth, snapping Norfolk's four-game losing skid.
Mariñez has now turned in 10 consecutive scoreless appearances, posting five saves in 10.2 shutout innings over that span. He hasn't allowed an earned run in 22 of his last 24 appearances, and his 10 saves this season lead all Orioles minor leaguers.
The Tides will wrap up their longest homestand of the season on Tuesday night, with first pitch slated for 7:05. Jimmy Yacabonis (3-2, 3.14) is set to start for Norfolk against Charlotte right-hander Jordan Stephens (3-2. 3.83). There will be a special postgame Independence Day fireworks show on Tuesday, presented by Geico Military.
Notes: Norfolk did not make a roster move Monday, the first day without a transaction since June 22nd...DJ Stewart went 0-for-3 with a sacrifice fly, snapping an 18-game on-base streak...Garabez Rosa went 0-for-4 to snap a seven-game hitting streak...Cedric Mullins singled and scored a run, giving him a five-game hitting streak over which he's batted .429 (9-21).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 2, 2018
- Big Eighth Inning Vaults Tribe to 7-1 Win in Louisville - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Drop Series Opener to Indians, 7-1 - Louisville Bats
- Dominguez's Grand Slam Leads Four-Homer Day in Chiefs 9-4 Win - Syracuse Chiefs
- Chiefs Power Past Pigs in Opener - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Kazmar Jr. Sets Gwinnett RBI Record in Loss - Gwinnett Stripers
- Hens Take Tough Loss Verse Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Bested by RailRiders, 6-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Sheffield Allows Just Three Hits in 6-2 Victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tides Shut down Charlotte after First, Take 3-2 Win - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall Short to Tides 3-2 on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Wings Slug Their Way to 6-2 Win Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Rochester Defeats Pomeranz, PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Snyder Provides Offensive Fireworks - Durham Bulls
- OF Eloy Jimenez placed on the DL - Charlotte Knights
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 2 - Louisville Bats
- It's a Rock 'N' Blast Week - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (43-37) at Louisville Bats (32-46) - Indianapolis Indians
- Naked Mole Rat Cap Giveaway on July 16 - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, July, 2, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Francisco Mejia Named International League Batter of the Week - Columbus Clippers
- International League Names Player of the Month - IL
- Roach Named IL Player of the Month - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett Stripers Homestand Highlights: July 4-8 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Kevin Quackenbush Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.