Tides Falter Early in Loss
The Gwinnett Stripers used two early home runs to cruise past Norfolk 10-2 Wednesday afternoon at Harbor Park.
Gwinnett took a first inning advantage just three batters into the game, as Michael Reed connected on a two-run homer off of Asher Wojciechowski (3-3). The Stripers extended their lead one inning later when Sal Giardina hit a three-run homer that gave Gwinnett a 5-0 lead.
The early offense was plenty for Gwinnett starter Max Fried (2-3), who limited the Tides to a run on three hits over seven spectacular innings of work. Fried, the #7 prospect in the Atlanta organization, struck out 11 without walking a batter while throwing 66 of his 99 pitches for strikes. The 24-year-old southpaw struck out at least two batters in five different innings, including striking out the side in his seventh and final frame.
Wojciechowski suffered the loss after allowing six runs on eight hits over 5.2 innings of work. He struck out four and walked one as he yielded more than two runs in a start for the first time in his last six outings.
Norfolk plated their lone run off of Fried in the second frame, as Garabez Rosa lined a two-out double before coming around to score on a single from Mike Yastrzemski. Norfolk added another run in the eighth inning on a run-scoring double play grounder off the bat of Cedric Mullins.
Mullins doubled in the first frame to extend his hitting streak to five games. The Campbell University product has batted .368 (7-19) with a home run, five doubles and three RBI over that five-game stretch.
The Tides will welcome in the Charlotte Knights to Harbor Park on Thursday to kick off a four-game series. Jimmy Yacabonis (3-1, 2.68) will get the start for Norfolk and be opposed by right-hander Michael Kopech (2-4, 4.70), with first pitch slated for 7:05.
Notes: On Wednesday the Orioles recalled RHP Yefry Ramirez to Baltimore to make a start against Boston, with the O's optioning LHP Donnie Hart to Norfolk to make room on their active roster... Yefry Ramirez is the 14th different player to appear on the active roster for both the Tides and Orioles this season...Mike Yastrzemski reached base safely in all three plate appearances, as he singled, walked and was hit by a pitch...Matt Wotherspoon struck out three over 2.1 innings of shutout relief.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Chiefs
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Tides Stories
- Orioles Announce 2018 Award Winners for Player Development & Scouting
- Tides Organization to Renovate Two Youth Fields this Fall
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park
- Durham Scores Late to Beat Tides