Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday
(DURHAM, NC) -- Backed by seven shutout innings from RHP Donny Roach, and impressive performances out of the bullpen from RHP Thyago Vieira and RHP Rob Scahill, the Charlotte Knights shut out the Durham Bulls by a score of 1-0 on Wednesday in the finale of a two-game series from Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, NC. With the win, the Knights earned a series sweep of the division-rival Bulls. Overall, the surging Knights have now won 12 of their last 18 games.
Roach (7-2, 2.96) was remarkable in his 13th start of the season. The 28-year-old right-hander, who spent the 2017 season pitching in Korea, struck-out a season-best nine batters over seven scoreless frames. He allowed just five hits and one walk on the night en route to his team-high seventh win of the season. He is tied for first in the IL in games started, second in wins, and eighth in ERA. He has now won each of his last four starts and is 3-0 with a 0.87 ERA in three June starts.
Vieira entered in the bottom of the eighth and kept the shutout alive with a two-strikeout performance in the inning. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Scahill came on to close the door on Charlotte's fifth win of the season in eight games against the Bulls. Although he allowed a leadoff single to Justin Williams, he settled down quickly and struck-out the next three batters to earn his fifth save of the season. It was Charlotte's fourth shutout win of the 2018 campaign.
Offensively, the Knights needed just one run and six hits to get past the Bulls. The team scored their lone run of the game in the top of the third inning off Durham starter Ryan Weber (2-3, 2.29), who was charged with the loss. Charlotte CF Jacob May singled home 2B Eddy Alvarez for the game's only run.
The Knights will now make the trek to Norfolk, VA to open a four-game road series against the Norfolk Tides from Harbor Park on Thursday night. Pre-game radio coverage of Thursday's 7:05 p.m. game will begin at 6:50 PM on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Mets
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Announce 2020 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Knights' 2020 Slate Filled with Celebs, Fireworks & Giveaways
- National Anthem Auditions Set for February 18 at Queen City Q
- Gastonia Native Wes Helms Named Manager for 2020 Season
- Knights Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball