Louisville Bats Notes: June 13
TONIGHT'S GAME: Louisville and Columbus continue a four-game series at Louisville Slugger Field with game three Wednesday night. The Bats turn to right-hander Robert Stephenson , who will face the Clip Show for the third time this season and ninth time in his career. The Bats couldn't get the job done last night, losing by a 6-2 score, despite a season-high 11 strikeouts from Cody Reed , the most K's by a Bats pitcher in a game in over 2 years.
AGAINST COLUMBUS: The Bats and Clippers meet for the third of seven series this season, and third of four at Louisville Slugger Field. Each of the clubs' first 3 series this season have taken place in the Bats' home ballpark. In 8 matchups so far this season, COL has gone 5-3 and outscored LOU 40-38, with LOU batting .261 and COL batting .235. As the Bats look to snap their four-game skid against the Clippers, their next win over Columbus will be their 200th win against them all-time.
BIG THREE IN JUNE: The trio of Dilson Herrera, Gabriel Guerrero and Nick Senzel have been excellent at the plate for Louisville in the month of June. Guerrero and Senzel each recorded 4 hits in Saturday's 9-4 win at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the first LOU teammates to do that since July 31, 2015, when Irving Falu and Brennan Boesch each had 4 hits in an 8-5 win over the Toledo Mud Hens. In the month of June, LOU has 3 of the top 4 batters in the month by batting average:
DILSON HERRERA .429 12-28 1hr, 9rbi, 8bb
Eddy Alvarez (CHA) .407 11-27 4rbi, .893ops
GABRIEL GUERRERO .385 15-39 1hr, 3rbi, 6r
NICK SENZEL .385 15-39 5 2b, 7rbi, 5bb
Player (min. 30 PA) AVG H-AB Stats
LEAD BY EXAMPLE: Infielder Nick Senzel once again tore it up in the leadoff spot, going 2-for-4 with an RBI. In his first 3 career games batting leadoff, Senzel is now batting .571 (8-for-14) with 3 runs, 2 doubles, 3 RBI and a stolen base, raising his batting average to .289 coming into play Wednesday, the highest it's been since he was batting .308 after April 8.
KODY REED: Louisville starter, left-hander Cody Reed (0-5, 4.69) got the loss but pitched well Tuesday, going 7.2 innings and giving up 5 runs (4 earned) on 6 hits and one home run, walking one and striking out 11 on 100 pitches, 75 strikes.
Louisville's last three 10+ strikeout games have come against Columbus:
- Reed's 11 strikeouts surpassed Robert Stephenson 's 10 strikeouts on April 11 vs. Columbus for the single-game high for LOU this season. The 11 K's became the first 11+ K game by a LOU pitcher since RHP Keyvius Sampson struck out 12 Toledo Mud Hens on June 2, 2016.
- It was the first 10+ K performance by a Bats left-hander since Amir Garrett struck out 10 Clippers in game 2 of a doubleheader last season on September 3.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Mets
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.