Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run
INDIANAPOLIS - Six consecutive hits following a 55-minute rain delay sparked the Indians to a narrow 3-2 victory Wednesday afternoon against Toledo. Kevin Kramer tripled on a shallow fly ball to right field in the fifth inning that led to RBI singles off the bats of Max Moroff, Jackson Williams and Kevin Newman.
Trailing the Mud Hens (39-24) by one halfway through the ballgame, a timely thunderstorm helped vault the Indians (34-29) to a season-high five games over .500. Toledo left-hander Tyler Alexander faced one over the minimum through the first four innings but failed to retire the first six men he opposed in the fifth. Christopher Bostick singled and was caught stealing to begin the frame, but Kramer's second three-bagger of the year dumped into right-center and immediately led to Moroff's RBI knock.
With the score level at 1-1, Wyatt Mathisen hooked a single into left on a hit-and run, advancing Moroff to third base. Williams and Newman then poked back-to-back singles to give Indy its first lead.
The Tribe hung on over the final four frames en route to their first one-run win since May 21 and fifth overall in 2018. Damien Magnifico tossed two shutout innings in relief of Clay Holmes, but the Hens drew closer thanks to a Christin Stewart double and Jim Adduci RBI single in the eighth off Bo Schultz. Johnny Hellweg (S, 10) needed just nine pitches to erase the visitors in the ninth, however, for his 10th save, second most in the IL.
Holmes (W, 5-3) won for the third time in as many starts. He surrendered an unearned run in the third when he misplayed a two-out chopper down the first-base line, allowing Dawel Lugo to score from third on the play. Holmes scattered five hits and two walks with five strikeouts. Alexander (L, 1-2) took the loss after giving up three runs on nine hits in 4.1 innings pitched.
Newman, Bostick and Kramer collected two hits apiece as part of Indy's 10-hit output.
The series finale between the IL West's top two clubs concludes Thursday night, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. ET. Right-hander Nick Kingham (2-1, 2.12) is set to make his seventh start for Indy. Toledo will send righty A.J. Ladwig (5-2, 5.10) to the bump.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Chiefs
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Indians and RailRiders Split Wednesday Doubleheader
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-55) at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (62-56)
- Big Inning Dooms Indy as SWB Wins Opener
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-54) at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (61-56)
- Tribe's Opener with RailRiders Postponed