Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk
NORFOLK, Va. - The Gwinnett Stripers, behind 7.0 strong innings from Max Fried and a 14-hit offensive attack, throttled the Norfolk Tides 10-2 Wednesday afternoon in the finale of a three-game series at Harbor Park.
Fried (W, 2-3) matched a career-high with 7.0 innings and set a career best with 11 strikeouts. He allowed only three hits and one earned run.
The Stripers gave Fried plenty of run support. After Norfolk right-hander Asher Wojciechowski walked Dustin Peterson with one out in the first, Michael Reed connected for his first career home run with Gwinnett, a long drive to left-center for a 2-0 lead.
In the top of the second, with Sean Kazmar Jr. on second and Xavier Avery on third, Sal Giardina drilled the first Triple-A homer of his career, a three run blast to right for a 5-0 lead. With one swing, he set a new career-high for a game with three RBIs.
The only run off Fried came in the bottom of the second as Garabez Rosa stroked a two-out double to right and scored on a single to right by Mike Yastrzemski to cut the lead to 5-1.
But the Stripers got the run back in the top of the sixth as Avery plated Rio Ruiz from third with a sacrifice fly to right.
The big inning for Gwinnett was the top of the seventh against reliever D.J. Snelten. Peterson reached on a throwing error to begin the inning, and with one out a single by Carlos Franco put two on. Ruiz singled to right, scoring Peterson to push the lead to 7-1. Franco, who moved to third on the throw, would then score on a wild pitch to make it 8-1. Avery dribbled an infield single to second, moving Ruiz to third, and Kazmar followed with a long double to center scoring both runners for a 10-1 advantage.
The other run by Norfolk came in the bottom of the eighth, when Yastrzemski scored from third on a double play ball by Cedric Mullins against reliever Rex Brothers.
Brothers worked 1.0 inning with one hit, one earned run and one walk allowed. Jacob Webb pitched a scoreless bottom of the ninth in his first-ever Triple-A outing.
Wojciechowski (L, 3-3) went 5.2 innings with eight hits, six earned runs, one walk allowed with four strikeouts. Snelten worked 1.0 inning with four hits and four runs (one earned) with one strikeout. Matt Wotherspoon tossed 2.1 innings with two hits and three strikeouts.
At the plate, the Stripers were led by Reed who was 3-for-5 with the homer, boosting his average to .421 in 12 games with Gwinnett thus far. Kazmar was 2-for-4 with a run, two doubles and two RBIs. Giardina was also 2-for-4 with the homer. Ruiz and Franco were each 2-for-5.
For the Tides, Rosa was 1-for-3 with a run, and Yastrzemski was 1-for-1 with a run and an RBI.
The Stripers (28-35) continue their road trip Thursday at 7:05 p.m. in Durham for the first game of a four-game set. Lefty Kolby Allard (4-2, 2.22) will start for Gwinnett, while the Bulls' starting pitcher has not been announced. Tony Schiavone has the play-by-play call on 97.7 and 93.5 FM The Other Side of the River beginning at 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Mets
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers to Host Preseason Party on March 3
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2019 Promotions Schedule
- Bobby Cox to be Inducted into International League Hall of Fame
- Gwinnett Stripers Launch "Hook, 9 & Sinker" Packs for 2019
- Gwinnett Stripers Unveil "Little Anglers Kids Club"