Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak
The Red Wings longest losing streak in eight years is finally over!
Willians Astudillo hit a two-run homer in the top of the ninth inning to send the Wings to a 4-3 win over the Scranton/WB RailRiders Wednesday night in Moosic, PA ending the club's 10-game losing streak.
The RailRiders got the tying run all the way to third base in the bottom of the ninth, but Trevor May escaped the jam to earn his second save as a Red Wing this season.
It was the first win for the Wings (29-33) since June 1!
Astudillo went 2-for-4 with a double to go along with his seventh homer of the season. Prior to 2018, the Wings stocky utility man hadn't hit more than four homers in any of his nine pro seasons.
Dietrich Enns dialed up a dandy for the Wings, allowing just one run on six hits over 6.2 innings in the no-decision. The southpaw, facing his old team for the first time, struck out five without issuing a walk.
The Wings took a 2-0 lead in the second inning. Wynston Sawyer knocked home Chris Carter with a one out double to center before coming around to score on a steal of home when Taylor Motter was picked off of first base, but the RailRiders second basemen dropped the throw.
The RailRiders scored their only run off Enns on a Billy McKinney solo homer in the fourth inning to cut the lead in half.
Rochester clung to the one run lead all the way until the eighth inning when Brandon Drury knocked home Tyler Wade to even things at 2-2. The run came off Alan Busenitz who had his streak of 12 straight scoreless outings spanning 22 innings come to an end. He hadn't allowed a run at Triple-A since April 12.
Joe Mauer led off and played first base for the Wings Wednesday and went 0-for-4 with a strikeout. In his first three games on rehab, the Twins star is 0-for-10.
The Red Wings road trip continues Thursday with the start of a four-game series in Buffalo. Southpaw Adalberto Mejia (1-2, 3.86) will make the start for Rochester.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Chiefs
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.