Hens Fall After Rain Delay
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - The Toledo Mud Hens suffered a 3-2 loss to the Indianapolis Indians on Wednesday afternoon at Victory Field.
The Mud Hens (39-25) struck first in the third inning, but the Indians (34-29) came back after the rain delay to score three runs in the bottom half of the fifth and hold on for the win despite Toledo adding a run in the eighth.
Kade Scivicque made his return to the Mud Hens line-up after being called up from Erie yesterday. In today's game, Scivicque threw out three runners trying to advance from first to second.
Dawel Lugo got the offense rolling for the Toledo Mud Hens in the first inning with a double to center field. Mikie Mahtook reached on a single and stole second base, but neither runner would come across home plate. Tyler Alexander made his third start for the Mud Hens and sent the Indianapolis Indians down in order in the bottom half of the first inning.
With one out in the third inning, Lugo put a ball on the ground just past the shortstop for his second hit of the day. Christin Stewart followed it up with a single to right field to put runners on first and second. Mahtook moved the runners over on a groundout to the shortstop. Jim Adduci then reached first on an error by the pitcher to score Lugo and give Toledo a 1-0 advantage.
In the middle of the fifth inning, a rain storm went through Indianapolis putting the game under a rain delay that lasted 55 minutes.
After the delay, Indianapolis used a pair of bloop-hits to right field to tie the game at one run. The Indians continued hitting as they had six consecutive hits to score three total runs while only having one out in the fifth inning. Zac Houston came in to replace Alexander with runners on the corners and one out in the bottom of the fifth. Alexanders day finished allowing three earned runs on nine hits in four and one third innings. Alexander also struck out two Indianapolis batters and walked none. Houston was able to get out of the inning without allowing another run. At the end of the fifth the score was Indy three and Toledo one.
Kevin Chapman came on to replace Houston in the bottom of the seventh inning. Houston went one and two thirds innings allowing no runs on one hit and struck out two batters.
In the top of the eighth inning, Stewart beat the shift with a one out double down the right field line. Adduci hit a single up the middle to score Stewart, giving Addcui his 38th RBI of the season. During the at-bat of Jason Krizan, Adduci stole second base for his seventh of the campaign.
Chapman went two innings in relief allowing zero runs on no hits and allowed two walks. The Hens could not find a way to rally back in the ninth inning and fell to the Indians 3-2.
The Mud Hens remain in Indianapolis on Thursday for the series finale against the Indians. First pitch from Victory Field is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to 2018 MLB.com Prospect Watch):
10. OF Christin Stewart: 2-for-4, 2B, run scored
11. OF Mike Gerber: 0-for-4
12. IF Dawel Lugo: 3-for-4, 2B, run scored
15. RHP Grayson Long: DNP (DL)
16. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP (DL)
18. LHP Tyler Alexander: (L) 4.1 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 SO, 0 BB
- The Mud Hens are 16-10 against the division this year.
- Toledo is second in team batting average (.265) behind Indianapolis (.272).
- The Mud Hens have blanked an opponent seven times this season and remain the only team in the IL to score in all of their games this year.
- Toledo plays its best baseball on Wednesdays as they boast an 7-2 record on hump day during the 2018 season.
- Dawel Lugo recorded his 19th multi-hit game and 2nd three-hit game of the campaign in today's game.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Chiefs
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.