SWB RailRiders Game Notes
ROCHESTER RED WINGS (28-33) @ SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE RAILRIDERS (30-33)
LHP Dietrich Enns (4-6, 5.85) vs. RHP Chance Adams (2-2, 5.43)
| Game No. 64 | Wednesday June 13, 2018 | PNC Field | Moosic, PA |
| First Pitch 6:35 p.m. | Pregame Show 6:05 p.m. |
LAST TIME OUT: MOOSIC, Pa. (June 12, 2018) - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders swept a doubleheader with the Rochester Red Wings on Tuesday night, winning the first game 5-2, and taking the finale 2-0. It was the first doubleheader sweep of the year for the surging RailRiders, who have won four of their last five games.
In the first game of the twin bill, the RailRiders jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first when Billy McKinney connected for a three-run home run off Aaron Slegers. The round-tripper was the seventh of the season for McKinney, and his second in his last two games. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre tacked on in the bottom of the third when Clint Frazier touched up Slegers for a solo shot to dead centerfield to extend the lead to 4-0. Abiatal Avelino contributed a third RailRider home run, a solo homer in the fourth.
Erik Swanson was strong for SWB, delivering 6.0 stellar innings of work in Game One. The right-hander allowed two runs on six hits, striking out eight and not allowing a walk. The runs against Swanson scored in the top of the fourth on back-to-back home runs from Cameron Rupp and Taylor Motter. Joe Harvey relieved Swanson (1-1) in the top of the seventh and worked around a two-out walk to shut the door to earn his second save of the season.
Brandon Drury was 0-for-3 with a run scored in the opener, ending his RailRiders record 32-game on-base streak.
DOUBLEHEADER SUCCESS: The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders had gone 1-3 in their two doubleheaders in 2018 before taking both games from the Rochester Red Wings Tuesday night. It had been almost a year since they swept a doubleheader, taking both games from Buffalo 6/17/2017. They went 6-6 in doubleheader games a season ago.
GETTING CLOSER: The RailRiders moved their way up the IL North Division standings following Tuesday's doubleheader, riding a three-game win streak over all this season. Wednesday marks Game No. 64 of the season for SWB and it is the first time they have been as high as 4th place in the division since Game No. 39, May 18 @ Buffalo. Heading into that ballgame they were in 4th place and 2.5 games behind the division-leading Lehigh Valley IronPigs. They are currently 5.5 games out of first place.
DRURIOUSLY SCRIBBLED HIS NAME INTO RECORD BOOK: INF Brandon Drury extended his on-base streak to 32 games Monday night with a 1-for-4 performance plus a walk against the Rochester Red Wings. The 31 games marks every contest he has played in Triple-A this season between his rehab stint and following his option on May 14, before going 0-for-3 in Game 1 of Tuesday's doubleheader. Drury's streak is now the longest in RailRiders history dating back to the franchise's name-change in 2013. The only RailRider whose streak had been left for him to pass before Monday was OF Jake Cave who had set the franchise-record of 31 games last season. In the midst of the on-base streak, Drury also had a 9-game hit streak. He doubled in the 7th inning Tuesday to extend his hit streak to 9-straight games which was the longest by a RailRider this season before the streak ended with an 0-for-2 Wednesday.
HOME COOKING: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre opened what was scheduled to be a 10-game, nine-day homestand Tuesday with a 6-3 win in the first of a 3G set against Durham before losing the series 2-games-to-1. The Louisville Bats were in town Friday and Saturday before Sunday's contest was cancelled due to rain, after which the longest homestand of the season concluded with four games over three days against Rochester -- including Tuesday's doubleheader. The homestand began with the RailRiders owning a 15-12 record at home on the year (now 20-15) and were 5.0 games back of the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (now 5.5 games back) after going 5-3 entering Wednesday's homestand finale.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Mets
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Statement on Yankees New Minor League Affiliation Structure
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns