First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo
A two-out, two-run single by Mitch Walding gave the Lehigh Valley IronPigs an 8-7 walk-off victory Wednesday at Coca-Cola Park.
The Pigs surrendered an early four-run lead to the Buffalo Bisons but rallied for three runs in the ninth to split the four-game series. With the win, the Pigs remain two-and-a-half games ahead of Buffalo atop the IL North Division.
The Pigs broke out early against Buffalo's Ryan Borucki. In the second inning, Matt McBride knocked his sixth home run of the season over the left field wall to score two, and Damek Tomscha followed up with a double to right field to bring home a third run. In the fifth inning, Joey Meneses added a two-run double off of the right field wall to extend the lead to 5-1. Following the Buffalo comeback, the Pigs came back alive in the ninth. Dean Anna began the rally with a single to score Adron Chambers, before Walding shot a single to the left side to score the remaining runs and win the game
Brandon Leibrandt was outstanding for Lehigh Valley on the mound as he retired the first 11 batters he faced. The Bisons were able to break through in the fifth inning thanks to an RBI single from Jason Leblebijian. The bullpen allowed five runs in its first two innings of work to put the Pigs behind. Two-run home runs from Loudres Gurriel Jr. and Dwight Smith Jr. provided the bulk of the damage.
The Bisons added an insurance run in the top of the ninth off Pedro Beato (2-2).
Offensively, the Pigs were led by Meneses, who went 1-for-2 with a double, a pair of walks, and a run scored. Chambers went 2-for-4 and scored twice while Walding went 2-for-4 with two RBI and a walk.
The Pigs continue their week-long homestand at Coca-Cola Park tomorrow when they welcome in the Pawtucket Red Sox for a four game series. Ben Lively will take the mound for Lehigh Valley, with the first pitch coming at 7:05 p.m. Thursday will be LGBT Pride Night at Coca-Cola Park with both the evening, and the cap giveaway (3,000 adults 18+) presented by Air Products.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, visit IronPigsBaseball.com or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Mets
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.