RailRiders Come up Short
MOOSIC, Pa. -The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders lost to the Rochester Red Wings 4-3 on Wednesday night at PNC Field.
The Red Wings jumped on the board first after Chris Carter led off the top of the second inning with a walk. Wynston Sawyer bashed a double to right-centerfield to score Carter from first. Sawyer advanced to third on a base-hit by Taylor Motter and would eventually score on an error by Abiatal Avelino.
The RailRiders answered in the bottom of the fourth as Billy McKinney smashed his eighth home run of the season to cut the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre deficit in half. In the bottom of the eighth, Tyler Wade singled, moved to second on the throw, advanced to third on a wild pitch and was plated on an RBI single by Brandon Drury to tie the game.
Carter got things going again for Rochester when he smacked a double with one out in the top of the ninth. Willians Astudillo followed with a home run over the left-field wall to give the Red Wings a 4-2 lead.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre battled in the bottom of the ninth but it was not enough. Kyle Higashioka singled. Mark Payton smoked a base-hit to right that LaMonte Wade bobbled, allowing Higashioka advance to third. Bruce Caldwell hit a sacrifice fly to deep left-center to score the runner from third in his pinch-hit for L.J. Mazzilli. Clint Frazier walked, but Wade hit into a fielder's choice and Drury lined out to end the game.
Drury swung the bat well for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre going three-for-five with an RBI. Chance Adams threw seven innings allowing two runs on three hits and struck out five. After the second inning, Adams retired 15 straight batters. Astudillo hit a double in the top of the seventh to break the streak.
The RailRiders will travel to Syracuse tomorrow for the first game of a four-game series. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. LHP Justus Sheffield (1-2, 2.96) heads to the mound for SWB, Syracuse counters with RHP Phillips Valdez (2-2, 1.64). The RailRiders will be back at PNC field on Tuesday, June 19 to take on the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Bieber Does as Bieber Does in Game Two Win - Columbus Clippers
- Bisons Lose to IronPigs on Walk-Off, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- First-Place Pigs Earn Walk-Off Victory vs. Buffalo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Astudillo Homer Helps Wings Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Red Wings
- Red-Hot Knights Shut out the Bulls 1-0 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Stepehnson's Quality Start Propels Bats' to 7-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Bulls' Bats Fall Silent in 1-0 Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Swept by PawSox After 5-1 Defeat Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Come up Short - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Beeks, PawSox Sweep Syracuse with 5-1 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indy Rallies, Beats Toledo by One Run - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall After Rain Delay - Toledo Mud Hens
- The Setup: Pigs and Bisons Wrap up Their Four-Game Set - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Fried Fans 11 in Stripers' 10-2 Win at Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- RHP Juan Minaya Promoted to Chicago White Sox Today - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Chiefs Weekend Series vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: June 14-17 - Syracuse Mets
- Tides Falter Early in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 13 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (33-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-24) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs, Bisons Split Doubleheader - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- Life Skills and Special Education Students Holiday Luncheon
- All-Time SWB Team Infield Announced
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to Host 2020 Triple-A All-Star Game
- RailRiders Working with ESU Sport Marketing Students
- All-Time Team Pitcher and Catcher Revealed