Thunder Climbs Back to Take Shootout Win vs. Rush
WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita battled back from a two-goal deficit and pulled out a 3-2 shootout win over Rapid City on Sunday afternoon at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Tim Soderlund and Peter Crinella scored goals in regulation and in the shootout while Jake Theut (TOIT) made 41 saves to earn his first victory in a Thunder uniform.
Rapid City scored first at 8:05 of the first period. Brett Gravelle made a nice move in the right corner and beat Theut to make it 1-0.
Logan Nelson made it 2-0 at 13:34 of the second. He fired a shot from the slot as he was cutting across the grain on the power play. The Rush outshot the Thunder 20-6 in the frame.
Early in the third, Soderlund cut the lead to one when he put home a pass from Matteo Gennaro off the rush for his third of the year. Crinella tied the game at 8:16 after taking a beautiful feed from Jay Dickman at the left circle. For the second time this week, Wichita and Rapid City would head past regulation.
The Rush outshot the Thunder 7-3 in the extra session. Theut was outstanding, making several key saves to help the Thunder stay tied.
Crinella scored at the top of the first round while Theut stopped Stephen Baylis to give Wichita a 1-0 lead. Soderlund made it 2-0 at the top of the second round, scoring a la Patrick Kane as he slowed down in the slot and buried a wrist shot. Theut stopped Max Coatta at the bottom of round two and Wichita claimed the shootout win.
Wichita takes seven out of a possible eight points over the week. Soderlund has points in three-straight (2g, 2a) and is 2-for-2 in shootout situations. Crinella has goals in back-to-back games. Dickman notched an assist, giving him points in eight-straight games. Watts has points in three-straight (1g, 4a). Gennaro also has points in three-straight (2g, 2a). Buitenhuis started the game in net, helping him tie the franchise record for consecutive starts in net with 15.
The Thunder heads on the road for the next two starting on Wednesday night in Coralville against Iowa.
Single game tickets are on sale now. Tickets can be purchased at the Wichita Thunder office located at 505 W. Maple, Suite 100, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. On weekday game days, the Thunder office closes at 4 p.m. Click here to purchase online!
ï»¿Fans can also purchase tickets at the Select-A-Seat Box Office at INTRUST Bank Arena Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and starting at noon on weekend game days.
Season tickets for the 2021-22 season are still available. Join Thunder Nation today and lock in your seat(s) for all 36 home games at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder celebrates a shootout win
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 28, 2021
- Thunder Climbs Back to Take Shootout Win vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Down Grizzlies in Overtime Thriller - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Grizz 6-5 in OT - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Come up Short in Shootout Loss in Wichita, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Admirals Dominate Solar Bears with 6-1 Drubbing - Norfolk Admirals
- Solar Bears Home Win Streak Ends at Six - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cherniwchan Plays Overtime Hero in Return to Lineup - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Thriller - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Close Weekend with Loss vs. Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Top the Railers 6-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - November 29 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals: November 28, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Seek to Avenge Last Night's Finish - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend this Afternoon vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Gameday: Bradley and Burzan Returns to Club - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Edge Oilers in Hard-Fought Battle - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Beat Idaho 4-2 - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Comeback Bid Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Grasso's Hat Trick Helps Thunder Sink Mariners, 5-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Wins High-Scoring Contest over Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.