Glads Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Thriller
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Atlanta Gladiators (7-5-2-0) fell to the South Carolina Stingrays (7-6-1-0) in overtime by a final of 4-3 at the North Charleston Coliseum on Sunday afternoon. Atlanta trailed 3-0 late in the third period, but then the Glads scored three unanswered goals to force overtime. Andrew Cherniwchan scored the overtime-winner for South Carolina.
Josh Thrower and Nico Blachman dropped the gloves early in the first period after some built up tension. The battle ended with both individuals landing shots and both players receiving fighting majors.
The Stingrays took a 1-0 lead after Jade Miller batted the puck into the back of the net late in the first period (16:09).
South Carolina extended the lead to 2-0 after Lawton Courtnall netted one midway through the second period (10:40). Minutes later, the Stingrays took a 3-0 advantage following a goal from Justin Florek later in the second frame (13:27).
The Glads cut the deficit down to 3-1 late in the second after Josh Thrower flung a puck in the direction of goaltender Hunter Shepard that lead to a scramble in front of the net. Derek Nesbitt eventually collected the disk and forced it into the back of the net to get Atlanta on the board (17:19)
Atlanta cut it to a one-goal game midway through the third after Derek Nesbitt tapped the puck across the ice to Hugo Roy in the offensive zone. Roy took the puck in front of the net and fired it past Shepard to cut South Carolina's lead to 3-2 (8:24).
The Glads leveled the game at 3-3 on the power play when Derek Topatigh collected a loose rebound and pummeled the puck into the net (10:28).
Just 12 seconds into the overtime period, Cherniwchan maneuvered across the blue line and scored on a wrist shot to seal South Carolina's 4-3 win (0:12).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 28, 2021
- Thunder Climbs Back to Take Shootout Win vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Down Grizzlies in Overtime Thriller - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Grizz 6-5 in OT - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Come up Short in Shootout Loss in Wichita, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Admirals Dominate Solar Bears with 6-1 Drubbing - Norfolk Admirals
- Solar Bears Home Win Streak Ends at Six - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cherniwchan Plays Overtime Hero in Return to Lineup - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Thriller - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Close Weekend with Loss vs. Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Top the Railers 6-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - November 29 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals: November 28, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Seek to Avenge Last Night's Finish - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend this Afternoon vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Gameday: Bradley and Burzan Returns to Club - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Edge Oilers in Hard-Fought Battle - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Beat Idaho 4-2 - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Comeback Bid Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Grasso's Hat Trick Helps Thunder Sink Mariners, 5-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Wins High-Scoring Contest over Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Glads and Blades Collide for Second Time this Weekend
- Nesbitt Leads Atlanta to Victory with Milestone Night
- Glads Get Set for Pair of Games against South Division Leaders
- Bernard and Roy Return to Gladiators
- Gladiators Book Drive Benefits Children Read Atlanta