Steelheads Comeback Bid Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Allen
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho Steelheads (10-7-0) were marred by early scoring by the Allen Americans (5-7-3) in a 4-2 loss on Saturday night from Idaho Central Arena in front of 5,182 fans, the sixth sellout of the season and the fifth-straight to close the homestand.
THE GAME'S STO--RY
The Americans pounced early with two goals within the first 10 minutes of the contest to scoot ahead 2-0 before the Steelheads found an answer. Defenseman Colby McAuley (PP, 13:08 1st) put home a slap shot from the left point on the team's first man-advantage to cut the lead in half, 2-1. Special teams continued to be a factor in the second period but for the opposing side with a pair of power play goals by the Americans for a 4-1 lead heading to the final period. Steelheads forward Will Merchant (SH, 10:16 3rd) added the first shorthanded goal of the season, but the team fell short in the 4-2 loss.
ICCU 3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. ALN - Chad Costello (goal, 3 assists)
2. ALN - Gavin Gould (3 assists)
3. IDH - Will Merchant (shorthanded goal)
PEPSI PLAYER OF THE GAME
Colby McAuley (D) - power play goal
- Colby McAuley: McAuley earned another power play goal, his second of the week and third in his last five games. He now shares the team lead in power play goals (3) and owns five goals overall on the year.
- Will Merchant: Merchant netted his first shorthanded goal since the 2018-19 season and fourth of his career while in the process reaching 150 points with the Steelheads in the ECHL era, the sixth player to reach that milestone.
CATCH OF THE DAY
Despite the loss, the Steelheads finished the six-game homestand with a 4-2-0 record and sit tied for first place in the Mountain Division. The Steelheads have performed well at home overall, winning six of nine games to start the season and earning weekend series wins for two-straight weeks with a pair of wins against the Adirondack Thunder and Allen Americans. The Steelheads still have six of their next eight games at home in December.
ATTENDANCE: 5,182 (6th sellout)
The Steelheads head into their lone road weekend in December with a two-game weekend against the Kansas City Mavericks on Friday, Dec. 3 at 6:05 p.m. from Cable Dahmer Arena. Coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on 95.3FM/1350AM KTIK "The Ticket" and FloHockey.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 28, 2021
- Thunder Climbs Back to Take Shootout Win vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Down Grizzlies in Overtime Thriller - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Grizz 6-5 in OT - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Come up Short in Shootout Loss in Wichita, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Admirals Dominate Solar Bears with 6-1 Drubbing - Norfolk Admirals
- Solar Bears Home Win Streak Ends at Six - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cherniwchan Plays Overtime Hero in Return to Lineup - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Thriller - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Close Weekend with Loss vs. Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Top the Railers 6-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - November 29 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals: November 28, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Seek to Avenge Last Night's Finish - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend this Afternoon vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Gameday: Bradley and Burzan Returns to Club - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Edge Oilers in Hard-Fought Battle - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Beat Idaho 4-2 - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Comeback Bid Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Grasso's Hat Trick Helps Thunder Sink Mariners, 5-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Wins High-Scoring Contest over Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.