Oilers Down Grizzlies in Overtime Thriller
TULSA, OK - The Oilers won 6-5 over Utah in overtime at the BOK Center on Sunday afternoon. Eddie Matsushima buried the game-winning goal, and emergency backup goalie Rob Mattison earned the win.
Jack Doremus broke the Oilers first-period scoring drought, pounding home his fourth goal of the season on a rebound created by Alex Gilmour 5:04 into the game. Doremus then entered the zone with pace, finding Logan Coomes on a two-on-one, who guided the feed past Peyton Jones with five seconds remaining in the period, giving the Oilers a two-goal lead.
Charle-Edouard D'Astous scored his 11th goal of the season 4:19 into the middle frame, sneaking down to the front of the net before tapping home a feed from Luke Martin to cut the lead 2-1 in Tulsa's favor. Darren McCormick answered less than two minutes after, restoring the Oilers' two-goal lead by tapping home a rebound for his first goal as an Oiler, giving him a two-point night. At the 8:12 mark, Dylan Sadowy rifled home a dogged feed from Adam Pleskach to give the Oilers a 4-1 lead. Gehrett Sargis popped a snapshot from the left circle past Daniel Mannella, shrinking the lead to 4-2 13:08 into the second period. Doremus ripped his second goal of the night past Jones 1:10 later, chasing the affiliated goaltender from the net. Mason Mannek closed out the second period, scoring with 1:24 left to set the score 5-3 in Tulsa's favor heading into the third period.
Luke Martin tallied a power-play goal with 2:17 left in the game on a double-minor, bringing the game 5-4. Brandon Cutler tied the game with 24 seconds remaining on the same power play. Mannella was hurt on the play, forcing emergency backup goaltender Rob Mattison into the game.
Mike McKee sprung Matsushima with a two-line pass, allowing the speedy forward to get behind the defense before roofing a backhander off the crossbar to end the game 41 seconds into overtime. The goal gave Mattison the win, despite not facing a shot in the game.
The Oilers return back to the BOK Center for games against Rapid City on Thursday and Friday at 7:05 p.m. Friday, Dec. 3 will be Teddy Bear Toss Night, benefitting the Salvation Army. Oilers fans are encouraged to bring stuffed animals to the game to toss on the ice after the first Oilers' goal.
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 28, 2021
- Thunder Climbs Back to Take Shootout Win vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Down Grizzlies in Overtime Thriller - Tulsa Oilers
- Oilers Defeat Grizz 6-5 in OT - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Come up Short in Shootout Loss in Wichita, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Admirals Dominate Solar Bears with 6-1 Drubbing - Norfolk Admirals
- Solar Bears Home Win Streak Ends at Six - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cherniwchan Plays Overtime Hero in Return to Lineup - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Battle Back to Earn Point in OT Thriller - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Close Weekend with Loss vs. Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Top the Railers 6-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - November 29 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals: November 28, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glads Seek to Avenge Last Night's Finish - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Closes Holiday Weekend this Afternoon vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Gameday: Bradley and Burzan Returns to Club - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Edge Oilers in Hard-Fought Battle - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Beat Idaho 4-2 - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Comeback Bid Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Grasso's Hat Trick Helps Thunder Sink Mariners, 5-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Wins High-Scoring Contest over Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Daniel Mannella Wins Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week
- Oilers Remain Perfect on Weekend, Defeat Growlers in First-Ever Meeting
- Mannella Grabs Shutout in Cruical Win over Thunder
- Oilers Win Fourth Overtime Game of the Campaign
- Oilers Acquire Andrew Shewfelt from Wichita Thunder