Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4
GLENS FALLS, NY - The Adirondack Thunder completed a three-goal comeback but were bested in overtime by the Maine Mariners on Friday night at Cool Insuring Arena.
The first period of the game was a quiet one. Both teams had a powerplay opportunity but no goals were recorded. The shots were 5-5 after twenty minutes. But it was the second period where things ramped up. The Mariners scored three goals in the first 6:20 of the frame with Jake Elmer, Ted Hart and Terrence Wallin all hit the back of the net.
Adirondack responded after a powerplay completed, Jake Linhart's seeing-eye shot beat Connor LaCouvee to put the Thunder within two. But the Mariners would respond just 20 seconds later when a carom ended up behind Thunder netminder Evan Cormier for his second of the night and sixth against Adirondack this season.
The Thunder would score the final goal of the second period when a 2-on-1 between Alex Carrier and Ara Nazarian resulted in a goalmouth scramble with Carrier batting the puck in behind LaCouvee to make it 4-2 Maine.
The Thunder scored just ten seconds into their fourth powerplay of the night. Nikita Popugaev moved the puck to the blue line for Jake Linhart. Linhart went to the far point for Robbie Payne who wound up a slapshot over LaCouvee to pull Adirondack within one.
Adirondack tied the game with 4:17 left as Robbie Payne redirected a Nikita Popugaev shot for his second of the game and sixth of the season.
The game went to overtime and Jake Elmer scored at 3:30 to give the Mariners the win and the extra point.
The Thunder outshot the Mariners 31-18 and went 1-for-4 on the powerplay. Adirondack successfully killed all three powerplay chances for Maine.
The Thunder battle the Maine Mariners tomorrow night at 6pm from Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, Maine.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack Thunder Issue Statement on Opt out of 2020-21 Season
- Adirondack Lands Veteran Forward Pete Macarthur in Trade with Orlando
- Rookie Defenseman Grant Frederic Turns Pro with Thunder
- Former QMJHL Champion Samuel Laberge Joins Adirondack
- Thunder Acquire Rights to Forward Chase Lang from IceMen