Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback
ESTERO, Fla. - Matthew Weis scored in the first four minutes of the game and Parker Milner posted a 22-save shutout to help the South Carolina Stingrays defeat the Florida Everblades, 2-0, on Friday at Hertz Arena.
In similar fashion to the Everblades' (12-7-1-2, 27 pts.) first two games of the season series with South Carolina (16-2-1-0, 33 pts.), the game was about as heavy of defensive hockey as it gets. That style of play has been a staple for the Stingrays, which held the 'Blades to a season-low 22 shots on goal in the game.
The Stingrays potted the first goal of the game on a 2-on-1 rush 3:07 into the first period. Skating in stride with his winger, Weis took a shot from the left circle that snuck under the pad of Florida goaltender Ken Appleby as he was going down into butterfly to give the Stingrays the first lead of the game.
South Carolina added a crucial power-play goal late in the third period to close out the 'Blades. From behind the 'Blades net, Dan DeSalvo found Mark Cooper high in the right circle for a one-timer that beat Appleby high on his glove side.
Despite the loss, Appleby had a great night in net. He finished with 25 saves, including a stellar breakaway denial of Mark Cooper in the first period that kept Florida within a goal.
The 'Blades have given up the first goal in eight of their nine home games and have yielded the first tally in 15 of their 22 total contests.
Florida's previous season-low for shots on goal was 25 before firing 22 shots on Friday.
The 'Blades have gone without a goal for a span of 159:00 over their last three home games.
The Stingrays are the only South Division team Florida has yet to earn a point against this season.
South Carolina has excelled in road games and improved to 12-1-1 in road tilts.
Florida hosts South Carolina for the final time this season on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Blades 365 Memberships are still on sale for the 2019-20 season! Get great seat locations, big savings and exclusive year-round experiences with a full season, 24-game or 12-game Blades 365 Membership!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Happy Cam-Pers: Johnson Leads 'Blades to Shootout Win
- Preview: 'Blades Take on IceMen, Aim for Fifth Straight Win
- Four Score: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Win Fourth Straight
- Preview: 'Blades Return to Home Ice, Host Swamp Rabbits
- Atwal, Maclise Return to 'Blades from AHL