Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC
WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita began a busy weekend on Friday night, falling to Kansas City by the final of 4-1 at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Beau Starrett scored the lone goal for the Thunder with assists to Patrik Parkkonen and Cameron Hebig.
Kansas City got off to a good start as they scored two goals in the first eight minutes. Ryan Galt tallied his first of the year at 6:58 when a clearing attempt by Evan Weninger hit him and went in the net to make it 1-0. At 8:08, Ryan Van Stralen found David Dziurzynski during a two-on-one and made it 2-0. Things got heated three minutes later when Chris Crane and Loren Ulett came together. Crane was sent to the showers after being called for a major penalty for cross checking.
Tad Kozun increased the lead at 7:39 of the second. Right after a Thunder penalty expired, he found a soft spot near the crease and roofed one over Weninger for his 4th of the season. Just a minute later, Starrett pounced on a rebound and cut the lead back to two.
At the beginning of the third, Wichita thought it had pulled within one when Stefan Fournier got behind the Kansas City defense. The play was blown dead, however, as it was ruled that he was offside. The Thunder tried to pull their goalie to get an extra attacker with two minutes to go, but Ryan Van Stralen scored to make it 4-1.
Starrett has four goals in his last five games. Parkkonen picks up his 14th helper of the season.
Wichita returns home at 7:05 p.m. on Saturday night to host the Tulsa Oilers for Military Appreciation Night. Come help us honor our military as the team will wear a special uniform. The name of the team will be changed for one game to the Wichita Pegasus to help honor McConnell Air Force Base. Buy Tickets here.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.