Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye
TOLEDO, OHIO - Dan Leavens had two points but the Toledo Walleye jumped out to an early lead and beat the Brampton Beast 6-2 on Friday evening.
The Brampton Beast ventured down to Toledo, Ohio for a Friday night date with the Walleye. Brampton entered the contest searching for their first win in the month of December.
The Walleye got off to a strong start and were able to strike first on the night. Josh Kestner, the former Newfoundland Growler, was able to sneak behind the Beast defense and skate in on a breakaway.
The forward fired a perfect shot over the glove hand of Alex Dubeau and made it 1-0 Walleye at 8:13.
The Beast had a couple chances late but goaltender Filip Larsson was able to shut the door and keep it a 1-0 game after 20 minutes of play. The Beast found themselves trailing 1-0 after 20 and down in shots to the tune of 16-5.
The second period saw the Walleye begin to take over, first with a goal off the stick of TJ Hensick on the man advantage. That gave Toledo a 2-0 lead at 1:45.
Brampton fired back with a goal of their own from Jackson Leef. He brought the Beast within one at 9:56.
Toledo was then able to convert on a pair of breakdowns that happened in the Beast end of the ice. Brenden Kotyk and Shane Berschbach were the recipients of the goals that made it 4-1 Toledo.
That would end the night for Dubeau, who would be pulled in favour of Evan Fitzpatrick.
Brampton briefly had some life as Dan Leavens broke into the offensive zone and roofed a perfect shot into the top of the net to make it 4-2 Beast, but the Walleye converted on the power play a few minutes later to make it 5-2 at 16:30.
After 40 minutes of play, Toledo had a 5-2 lead and the Beast would trail in shots 28-15. The third period only saw one goal between the two clubs and it was scored by the Walleye. Josh Windquist buried a rebound through the pads of Fitzpatrick to give make it 6-2.
That score would stand that the final horn sounded at the Huntington Center on Friday evening. Larsson would make 21 saves and record his first ECHL win. Dubeau finished with 21 saves while giving up four goals. Fitzpatrick allowed two goals on 15 shots.
Notes: Molson Three Stars 3) Windquist (TOL) 2) Berschbach (TOL) 1) Kestner (TOL) The Beast finished the contest scoreless on four power play attempts. Toledo went two-for-five. The Beast will now head home to face the Reading Royals. IT's DC Comics night and the puck drops at 7:15 PM.
For more information or general media inquiries on the Brampton Beast please contact Anthony Fusco, Public Relations Coordinator at (905) 564-1684 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Brampton Beast will be bringing their exciting brand of ECHL hockey back to the CAA Centre next season. Don't miss a minute of the action! 2019-20 Memberships are now available, join the club!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.