Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance
ESTERO, Fla. - The South Carolina Stingrays (16-2-1-0) allowed just 22 shots on goal to the Florida Everblades (12-7-1-2) Friday night and goaltender Parker Milner stopped all of them to earn his fourth shutout of the season in a 2-0 victory at Hertz Arena.
South Carolina improved to 3-0-0 against the Everblades this season in a trio of games played on the road in Estero. The team has earned points in all six games they've played on their current road trip (5-0-1) and have secured points in 11 straight road games. Overall this season, SC is 12-1-1 away from North Charleston.
Forward Matthew Weis led the way with a goal and an assist in the contest, while forward Mark Cooper scored a third period power play goal to extend his current point streak to five games.
Milner improved to 8-1-1 on the year and currently leads the ECHL in goals-against average (1.43), save percentage (0.945) and shutouts (4).
Weis got South Carolina on the board early with his fourth goal of the year off a shot from the left circle that beat Florida goaltender Ken Appleby to make it 1-0 Stingrays. The goal, which came at 3:07 of the first, came with assists from defender Tariq Hammond and team captain Andrew Cherniwchan.
Due to the Rays' excellent defensive performance throughout, the score didn't change until late in the contest. With Florida's John McCarron sitting in the penalty box for tripping, Cooper netted his ninth tally of the season on the power play goal from Weis and forward Dan DeSalvo.
Weis, who was recalled to Hershey late last month, has scored points in each of his first two games back with South Carolina.
The Stingrays outshot the Everblades 27-22 in the game. Appleby suffered the loss for Florida, stopping 25 shots in defeat. South Carolina finished 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Everblades were 0-for-2.
The Stingrays and Everblades meet again on Saturday night at Hertz Arena beginning at 7 p.m.
- The Stingrays return home for five games in December! Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.