Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5
The Newfoundland Growlers extended their winning streak to four games Friday night defeating the Worcester Railers 7-5 at Mile One Centre in a game that was highlighted by a six-goal third period for the Growlers.
A scoreless opening period saw chances at both ends of the ice, but Maksim Zhukov was solid between the pipes for Newfoundland stopping all 16 shots he faced.
Jordan Samuels-Thomas opened the scoring 2:24 into the second period after being sprung on a breakaway and sliding it five-hole on Zhukov to give the Railers a 1-0 lead. Bo Brauer doubled the lead to 2-0 with 7:23 to play in the second period, and Nic Pierog made it a 3-0 game just 54 seconds later after a puckhandling miscue by Zhukov found its way to the back of the net for a shorthanded tally.
Brady Ferguson stopped the bleeding with 4:13 left in the second period after re-directing a Riley Woods shot behind Evan Buitenhuis for a powerplay goal and to get the Growlers on the board for a 3-1 score.
Giorgio Estephan cut the deficit to one 6:58 into the third period after cleaning up a scramble in front of the Railers crease for a 3-2 game, and just over two minutes later both Jordan Samuels-Thomas and Estephan traded goals 17 seconds apart for a 4-3 Railers lead.
Matt Schmalz would continue the back-and-forth third period adding his sixth of the season at the 11:03 mark of the third period, to which Aaron Luchuk replied for the Growlers 1:10 later finishing off a wraparound and sliding it home for a 5-4 game.
Luchuk added his second of the night at 14:10 to tie things up at 5-5, and Joseph Duszak fired home his fifth of the season just 17 seconds later to give the Growlers their first lead of the game and bring Growlers Nation to their feet at Mile One Centre. Both goals came on the same penalty kill for Newfoundland to mark the first two shorthanded goals of the season.
The Railers pulled their goaltender for an extra attacker with 37 seconds left in the game, but Mac Hollowell fired home an empty netter the length of the ice to secure a 7-5 victory.
Aaron Luchuk was re-assigned to the Growlers from the Toronto Marlies prior to puck drop
Giorgio Estephan extended his point streak to nine games
The three stars were 3 - J. Samuels-Thomas (WOR), 2 - G. Estephan (NFL) and 1 - A. Luchuk (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers wrap up their four-game home stand Saturday night in a rematch with the Worcester Railers on St. John's Maple Leafs throwback night and the annual NTV Teddy Toss. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at the Mile One Centre Box Office or online at mileonecentre.com.
Worcester Railers (6-13-1-0) at Newfoundland Growlers (16-8-0-0)
Friday, December 6th - Mile One Centre - St. John's, NL
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
1 - 0 1 2nd WOR 2:24 J. Samuels-Thomas (8) K. Thomas V 5 13 24 37 61 H 8 9 22 36 39
2 - 0 2 2nd WOR 12:37 B. Brauer (4) V 5 13 14 15 24 H 3 21 26 27 29
3 - 0 3 2nd WOR 13:24 N. Pierog (6) J. Samuels-Thomas SH V 4 5 37 61 H 8 11 13 22 29
3 - 1 4 2nd NFL 15:47 B. Ferguson (13) R. Woods, M. Hollowell PP V 4 5 14 24 H 9 11 13 22 29
3 - 2 5 3rd NFL 6:57 G. Estephan (9) A. Luchuk, M. Bradley V 3 4 10 37 61 H 4 11 26 27 29
4 - 2 6 3rd WOR 9:05 J. Samuels-Thomas (9) SH V 4 5 37 61 H 14 17 21 26 39
4 - 3 7 3rd NFL 9:22 G. Estephan (10) PP V 3 10 24 28 H 9 11 13 22 29
5 - 3 8 3rd WOR 11:05 M. Schmalz (6) V 5 13 17 51 72 H 8 13 14 17 36
5 - 4 9 3rd NFL 12:15 A. Luchuk (10) G. Estephan, M. Bradley V 3 4 14 24 37 H 11 21 26 27 29
5 - 5 10 3rd NFL 14:00 A. Luchuk (11) T. Bradley, M. Hollowell SH V 4 10 17 37 61 H 11 14 26 36
5 - 6 11 3rd NFL 14:17 J. Duszak (5) G. Estephan, R. Woods SH V 8 13 14 20 24 H 3 13 21 29
5 - 7 12 3rd NFL 19:40 M. Hollowell (2) EN V 4 10 17 24 37 61 H 11 13 21 27 29
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.