K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling
WHEELING, WV - An early Kalamazoo Wings lead lasted just 41 seconds before the Wheeling Nailers (9-8-4-0) used three goals in a 1:47 span to jumpstart a 6-2 come-from-behind win over the Wings (6-11-2-0) Friday at WesBanco Arena.
Back in the lineup for the first time since Nov. 2, Justin Taylor returned from the American Hockey League's Utica Comets and jump-started Kalamazoo's offense. Taylor sped past the Wheeling defense and although his shot was stopped by Jordan Ruby, Yannick Veilleux cashed in on the rebound 2:51 into the game.
The Nailers flipped the script quickly with three separate goals on 2-on-1 rushes, forcing the K-Wings to use their timeout 5:19 into the game with the score 3-1. The first goal was a backdoor tap-in by Jan Drozg, followed 1:18 later by the first of an eventual hat trick from Brandon Hawkins.
Hawkins elected to shoot on an ensuing 2-on-1 just 29 seconds later and snapped a shot over Jake Hildebrand's shoulder and under the crossbar to give the Nailers three goals on their first three shots.
Kalamazoo followed its timeout with a power play goal on its first of seven opportunities to make it 3-2 heading into the first intermission. The goal ricocheted off of Zach Saar in front of the net before sliding across the goal line.
Wheeling added some insurance in the second period when Ryan Scarfo swept a short-handed goal past Hildebrand who was left out in no man's land during a Wings defensive zone turnover. Myles Powell made it 5-2 after scooping up a loose puck in the slot that Kalamazoo initially blocked.
Hawkins completed his hat trick with a wrist shot from the point through a screen during a late 5-on-3 power play in the third period to make it 6-2.
The K-Wings and Nailers face-off again Saturday at 7:05 p.m. at WesBanco Arena in Wheeling. Catch the action on 1660AM, The Fan, or ECHL TV, with pregame coverage starting at 6:45 p.m.
Kalamazoo Wings 3-Packs are now available online! Reserve your tickets for the three biggest games in the best seats with the best eats. Visit kwings.com for more information about all the perks that come with a K-Wings 3-Pack!
The Kalamazoo Wings are a professional hockey team located in southwest Michigan that has been a staple in the Kalamazoo, MI professional sports landscape since 1974. The K-Wings compete in the ECHL and are the AA affiliate of the National Hockey League's Vancouver Canucks. Kalamazoo plays their 36 regular season home games at Wings Event Center from October through April.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Kalamazoo Wings to Host Fan-Designed Jersey Contest
- K-Wings Announce NHL Affiliation with Columbus Blue Jackets
- Toni Will Named to ECHL Board of Governors' Executive Committee
- K-Wings Represented on Third Consecutive Stanley Cup Champion
- K-Wings Submit Protected List