Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers started their three-in-three home weekend in fine fashion on Friday night, as they took down the Kalamazoo Wings, 6-2 at WesBanco Arena. Brandon Hawkins led the offensive attack with the team's first hat trick of the regular season, and was complemented by a three-point night from Myles Powell. Jordan Ruby held the fort on the other end of the ice, making 27 saves for the win.
The first eight minutes of action were electric, as the teams combined for five goals, with the Nailers taking a 3-2 lead into the intermission. Kalamazoo struck first at the 2:51 mark, as Yannick Veilleux drove to the net to deposit the rebound of Justin Taylor's initial attempt. Wheeling responded 41 seconds later, when Jan Drozg slid in a cross-crease pass from Renars Krastenbergs. After that, Brandon Hawkins took over, denting the twine twice in a span of 29 seconds. His first was a one-timer from Christopher Brown, then his second was a wrist shot from the left circle. The Wings trimmed the margin to one on Zach Saar's power play marker from the top of the crease.
The Nailers added a couple of insurance tallies in the middle frame. At the 10:48 mark, Cam Brown battled a puck out of the right corner, then fed Ryan Scarfo, who spun in a shorthanded goal from the low slot. Less than four minutes after that, Myles Powell slammed in a Yushiroh Hirano feed, which was originally created by Aaron Titcomb's long shot from the right side.
In addition to the win, the only item left to finish off was Hawkins' hat trick. With 5:49 left, the hats flew down from the stands at WesBanco Arena, as Hawkins threw in a wrist shot from the blueline, putting the final touches on Wheeling's 6-2 triumph.
Jordan Ruby backstopped the victory for the Nailers, turning away 27 of the 29 shots he faced. Jake Hildebrand took the loss for Kalamazoo, allowing six goals on 26 shots.
The Nailers and Wings will do battle again on Saturday at 7:05 as part of Be Our Neighbor Night. The Nailers will wear special jerseys, fans can visit both Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, there will be a trolley ornament giveaway, and it's the annual Teddy Bear Toss game. The new Friends & Family 4 Pack is available for Saturday, as fans can get four tickets, four Tito's Sloppy Doggs, and a $10 voucher to the Nailers Team Store for $52. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
Images from this story
Brandon Hawkins of the Wheeling Nailers scores against the Kalamazoo Wings
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.