Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits
NORFOLK, Va. - The Norfolk Admirals utilized an eight-minute stretch in the first period to carry the load the rest of the way. The Ads defeated the Greenville Swamp Rabbits 4-1 on Friday night at the Scope.
From the 10:26 mark of the first until the 18:19 mark, it was all Norfolk.
Sam Povorozniouk finished off a three-way passing play between himself, and former Swamp Rabbits Roman Ammirato and Zach Franko to open the scoring. Josh Holmstrom did the same towards the back end of the first.
Charlie O'Connor's tally came on a rebound of an Alex Rodriguez shot that pinballed off of the former's shin pad and into the net. A quick video review confirmed the call on the ice, which was goal.
The Admirals were steadied in net by Brandon Halverson, who had to make 17 saves in the third period as Greenville frantically attempted to get back into the game. A goal by Chad Duchesne through a massive screen in front at the 7:22 mark of the third period was his only blemish on the night.
Aside from the first period, Ryan Bednard kept the fort held. He stopped the final 20 shots fired his way, and 26 of 29, as the final goal was into an empty net from Ben Holmstrom.
90 seconds of 5-on-3 power play time to begin the third period went by the wayside, as well as a crucial power play chance down by two following Duchesne's tally to try and get back into the game. The Swamp Rabbits' power play went 0-for-7 on the night.
Head coach Kevin Kerr rolled the dice to try and give his team a jump in the third period by pulling Bednard with about four minutes to play. Holmstrom's empty net goal sealed the deal.
The series between Greenville and Norfolk rages on Saturday, December 7 at 7:35 p.m. Catch all of the action on the Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network, or ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 6, 2019
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Beast Flounder in Road Loss to Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Begins Weekend with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback - Florida Everblades
- Rays Put on Defensive Clinic in Shutout Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk's Early Surge Too Much for Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings' Fast Start Erased in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmer's Second Hat Trick Beats Adirondack in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Hats off for Hawkins in 6-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Battle Back But Fall in Overtimeto Mariners, 5-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Score 6 Goals in the Third to Dump Worcester 7-5 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers up Big Early But Fall Late in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- ECHL Transactions - December 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Utah at Rapid City December 6th - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit - Florida Everblades
- Ty Lewis and Tim McGauley Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: vs Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Donate over 1500 Pounds to South Portland Food Cupboard - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Sign Parker Gahagen to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2020-21 Season-Ending Roster
- Greenville's Season Ends on Monday Night in Charleston
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays, 7:05 PM Eastern Conference Finals (Game 4)
- Rays Rally Late to Snatch 2-1 Series Lead
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Stingrays, 7:05 PM Eastern Conference Finals (Game 3)