T-Birds Make First Ever Stop in Belleville Wednesday
BELLEVILLE, ONT - The Springfield Thunderbirds (29-34-5-2) begin their final road trip of the season on Wednesday night as they visit the Belleville Senators (26-39-2-3) for a 7:00 p.m. contest at the Yardmen Arena.
Springfield's first win of the 2017-18 season came against the Senators back on Oct. 22 in a 7-4 romp. Dryden Hunt recorded his first career hat trick as a professional, including two power play goals. Alex Grenier (1g, 2a) and Eddie Wittchow (3a) also added three-point games that evening, peppering Senators goalie Danny Taylor with 38 shots on the night.
The rough-and-tumble game also featured a combined 68 penalty minutes between the two clubs. Springfield allowed a franchise-high 10 power plays to the opposition, but killed off each and every penalty to preserve the victory.
The Senators sit out of the playoff picture in the North Division, but have been playing better hockey in recent weeks, climbing above the Laval Rocket into sixth place in the division standings. To this point in the season, only the Rocket (260) have allowed more goals than Belleville's 250.
The Thunderbirds will be looking to bounce back from a 6-5 loss on Saturday on home ice to the Utica Comets. Despite holding a 5-4 lead with less than three minutes to play, Springfield could not hold on as Utica roared back for two goals in the final moments to take a regulation win from the T-Birds.
Springfield will have two great chances to earn its first road victory since March 4 against the two worst defensive teams in the AHL. The Thunderbirds have scored a combined 13 goals in their two home-ice victories against Belleville and Laval.
The Thunderbirds return home on Friday, April 13 and Saturday, April 14 for Fan Appreciation Weekend, featuring the final 3-2-1 Friday and MGM Springfield Pregame Concert Series to start the weekend. Then on Saturday, the fun begins at Court Square from 4-6 p.m. for a Block Party, presented by Community Bank. Then inside, there will be 2,500 Boomer Bobbleheads as a special giveaway, compliments of Stop & Shop.
Springfield Thunderbirds fans are encouraged to visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com to learn more about 2018-19 Thunderbirds Season Ticket Memberships. Packages include a wide range of benefits, including the lowest prices for the 2019 AHL All Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield. For more information or to order now, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2018
- Admirals Get Important Win over Chicago - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Shutout by Cleveland 4-0 - Iowa Wild
- Late Comeback Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Coast to 4-0 Win over Wild - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Rally in Potential Playoff Preview - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lafferty Nets First Pro Goal in Penguins' 5-3 Defeat of Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Rally to Top First-Place Phantoms - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Condors Host Ontario Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Barracuda Sign Forward Ivan Chekhovich to ATO - San Jose Barracuda
- Roadrunners and Banner Health Join Forces for Superhero Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Capitals Recall Bowey and Boyd from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Fan Appreciation Month Begins Wednesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Evan Jasper to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Jersey Assigns First-Round Pick McLeod to Binghamton - Binghamton Devils
- Forward Carsen Twarynski Signed to ATO - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- St. Denis, Bailey and Jones all score in front of 7,451 fans on Tuesday morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Checkers Announce Pet Weekend on April 7 and 8 - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Release Caleb Herbert and Sam Warning from PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Tom McCollum Recalled by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Vegas NHL Draft Pick Hague Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Belleville Senators Announce Special Fan Appreciation Games - Belleville Senators
- Bid on Hawaiian Night Jerseys - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Sign Marcus Crawford to Two-Year Deal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sabres Recall Nylander, Porter from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Weekly Wrap-Up - Toronto Marlies
- P-Bruins Miss Chance to Clinch Postseason Spot in 3-2 Loss - Providence Bruins
- Tickets for First Round of 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs on Sale Now - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Bears Hit I-81 to Battle Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Amerks, Monroe County Partner for Refresh Recycling Night April 11 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers, Extreme Ice Center Launch "Mini Checkers" - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Ink Defenseman Tariq Hammond to ATO - Binghamton Devils
- Chris Terry Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Laval Rocket
- Christoffer Ehn Reassigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- T-Birds Make First Ever Stop in Belleville Wednesday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Reassign Formenton to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins this Morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Delia Assigned, Glass Recalled - Rockford IceHogs
- Week 26 Report: Hogs Win 4th Straight, Close in on Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirri Returns to the NHL - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd
- T-Birds Fall to First-Place Checkers
- Thunderbirds Host Checkers, Marlies to Start 3-In-3 Weekend
- Thunderbirds to Welcome Two-Time New England Patriots Super Bowl Champion Trey Flowers on March 2nd
- Florida Panthers Recall F Jamie McGinn from Springfield