Capitals Recall Bowey and Boyd from Hershey
(Hershey, PA)- The Washington Capitals have recalled forward Travis Boyd and defenseman Madison Bowey from the Hershey Bears. The announcement was made by Washington's senior vice president and general manager, Brian MacLellan.
Boyd, 24, made his NHL debut against the San Jose Sharks on Dec. 4 and has played in seven games for the Capitals this season, notching one assist. His first NHL point came during his recent recall as he assisted on an Alex Ovechkin goal on Mar. 18 vs. Philadelphia. The product of the University of Minnesota was drafted with the Capitals' sixth-round pick in the 2011 draft.
Boyd ranks third on the Bears in goals (15), and second in assists (32), and points (47) in 61 games. Boyd has collected 15 multi-point games this season, including becoming the first player in the AHL to score four goals in a game this season on Feb. 16 at Laval.
The native of Hopkins, Minn. has played in 215 regular season games with Hershey in his career, scoring 165 points (53 goals, 112 assists). He had a sensational 2016-17 campaign, leading the Bears with a career-best 63 points (16 goals, 47 assists). He skated in the 2017 AHL All-Star Classic, was Hershey's team MVP, and landed on the AHL's Second All-Star Team. The forward also has 17 points in 33 playoff games with the Bears, scoring one of the most memorable goals in recent playoff history when he struck for the overtime winner in Game 7 of the 2016 Atlantic Division Finals vs. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Bowey, 22, has appeared in 51 games with the Capitals this season, posting 12 assists and 24 penalty minutes. He has also appeared in nine games with Hershey this season, scoring eight points (two goals, six assists).
The blueliner had 14 points in an injury shortened season in 2016-17 as a slight laceration of the tendon on his ankle on Dec. 28 caused him to miss 32 games. He returned in time for the playoffs, notching four points (two goals, two assists) in 10 games, including the overtime winning goal in Game 5 of the Atlantic Division Finals at Providence.
Bowey was a second round selection (53rd overall) by Washington in the 2013 NHL Draft. The former Kelowna defender won a WHL championship with the Rockets in 2014-15, and also won a gold medal with Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championships.
The Bears return to the ice tonight against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on the road. Puck drop is slated for 7:05 p.m. Zack Fisch has the radio call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2018
- Admirals Get Important Win over Chicago - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Shutout by Cleveland 4-0 - Iowa Wild
- Late Comeback Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Coast to 4-0 Win over Wild - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Rally in Potential Playoff Preview - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lafferty Nets First Pro Goal in Penguins' 5-3 Defeat of Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Rally to Top First-Place Phantoms - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Condors Host Ontario Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Barracuda Sign Forward Ivan Chekhovich to ATO - San Jose Barracuda
- Roadrunners and Banner Health Join Forces for Superhero Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Capitals Recall Bowey and Boyd from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Fan Appreciation Month Begins Wednesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Evan Jasper to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Jersey Assigns First-Round Pick McLeod to Binghamton - Binghamton Devils
- Forward Carsen Twarynski Signed to ATO - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- St. Denis, Bailey and Jones all score in front of 7,451 fans on Tuesday morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Checkers Announce Pet Weekend on April 7 and 8 - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Release Caleb Herbert and Sam Warning from PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Tom McCollum Recalled by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Vegas NHL Draft Pick Hague Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Belleville Senators Announce Special Fan Appreciation Games - Belleville Senators
- Bid on Hawaiian Night Jerseys - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Sign Marcus Crawford to Two-Year Deal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sabres Recall Nylander, Porter from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Weekly Wrap-Up - Toronto Marlies
- P-Bruins Miss Chance to Clinch Postseason Spot in 3-2 Loss - Providence Bruins
- Tickets for First Round of 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs on Sale Now - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Bears Hit I-81 to Battle Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Amerks, Monroe County Partner for Refresh Recycling Night April 11 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers, Extreme Ice Center Launch "Mini Checkers" - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Ink Defenseman Tariq Hammond to ATO - Binghamton Devils
- Chris Terry Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Laval Rocket
- Christoffer Ehn Reassigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- T-Birds Make First Ever Stop in Belleville Wednesday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Reassign Formenton to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins this Morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Delia Assigned, Glass Recalled - Rockford IceHogs
- Week 26 Report: Hogs Win 4th Straight, Close in on Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirri Returns to the NHL - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.