Iowa Shutout by Cleveland 4-0
DES MOINES, IOWA - Iowa Wild (30-26-9-6; 75 points) was shutout by Cleveland Monsters (23-37-7-3; 56 points) 4-0 Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Arena. Iowa concludes its four-game homestand with a contest against Chicago Friday evening.
The teams played a scoreless first period, with Cleveland holding an 8-7 shot advantage. It wasn't until Monsters forward Justin Scott scored at 6:20 into the second period did a team break the deadlock. Scott drove to the net and beat Wild goaltender Niklas Svedberg (23 saves) with a backhanded shot over his left pad, giving the visitors a 1-0 lead.
Cleveland doubled its lead at 14:47 when former Wild forward Jordan Schroeder recorded his 13th goal of the season. While on the power play, Schroeder received a pass from winger Spencer Naas at the back door, beating Svedberg to the far post. His goal gave the Monsters a 2-0 lead, which held through the rest of the period.
Schroeder added his second goal of the game at 5:16 into the third period, sneaking a shot under Svedberg's glove for a shorthanded breakaway goal. Cleveland netted its fourth goal of the game one minute later, as forward Phil Lane's shot deflected off defenseman Brennan Menell's stick for his first score with the Monsters.
As the final horn sounded, Iowa fell to Cleveland 4-0, extending its winless streak to nine games, while Cleveland goaltender Jeff Zatkoff (25 saves) recorded his second shutout of the season. The Monsters outshot the Wild 27-25 and Iowa was 0-for-6 on the night with the man advantage.
Iowa hosts Chicago Friday night, with a 7:00 p.m. scheduled puck drop.
The Iowa Wild 2017-18 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2018
- Admirals Get Important Win over Chicago - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Shutout by Cleveland 4-0 - Iowa Wild
- Late Comeback Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Coast to 4-0 Win over Wild - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Rally in Potential Playoff Preview - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lafferty Nets First Pro Goal in Penguins' 5-3 Defeat of Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Rally to Top First-Place Phantoms - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Condors Host Ontario Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Barracuda Sign Forward Ivan Chekhovich to ATO - San Jose Barracuda
- Roadrunners and Banner Health Join Forces for Superhero Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Capitals Recall Bowey and Boyd from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Fan Appreciation Month Begins Wednesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Evan Jasper to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Jersey Assigns First-Round Pick McLeod to Binghamton - Binghamton Devils
- Forward Carsen Twarynski Signed to ATO - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- St. Denis, Bailey and Jones all score in front of 7,451 fans on Tuesday morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Checkers Announce Pet Weekend on April 7 and 8 - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Release Caleb Herbert and Sam Warning from PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Tom McCollum Recalled by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Vegas NHL Draft Pick Hague Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Belleville Senators Announce Special Fan Appreciation Games - Belleville Senators
- Bid on Hawaiian Night Jerseys - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Sign Marcus Crawford to Two-Year Deal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sabres Recall Nylander, Porter from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Weekly Wrap-Up - Toronto Marlies
- P-Bruins Miss Chance to Clinch Postseason Spot in 3-2 Loss - Providence Bruins
- Tickets for First Round of 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs on Sale Now - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Bears Hit I-81 to Battle Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Amerks, Monroe County Partner for Refresh Recycling Night April 11 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers, Extreme Ice Center Launch "Mini Checkers" - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Ink Defenseman Tariq Hammond to ATO - Binghamton Devils
- Chris Terry Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Laval Rocket
- Christoffer Ehn Reassigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- T-Birds Make First Ever Stop in Belleville Wednesday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Reassign Formenton to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins this Morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Delia Assigned, Glass Recalled - Rockford IceHogs
- Week 26 Report: Hogs Win 4th Straight, Close in on Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirri Returns to the NHL - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Stuns San Antonio with 3-2 Win in Overtime
- Iowa Completes Comeback in 5-4 Victory against San Antonio
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Joel Eriksson Ek
- Iowa Gets Back in the Win Column with 4-2 Victory against San Jose
- Iowa Wild Recalls Goaltender CJ Motte from Allen