Tom McCollum Recalled by Red Wings
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday recalled goaltender Tom McCollum from the Grand Rapids Griffins.
McCollum, 28, posts an 18-13-3 record, a 2.72 goals against average, a 0.909 save percentage and one shutout in 34 appearances with the Griffins this season. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound netminder is on a six-game winning streak, one shy of tying his career high. Since Jared Coreau was recalled by Detroit on Feb. 20, McCollum posts a 10-5 record, a 2.18 GAA, a 0.923 save percentage and one shutout in 15 appearances. His 10 wins in that span lead the league.
Detroit's first choice, 30th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, McCollum became the 117th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL when he made his debut with the Red Wings on March 30, 2011 at St. Louis. McCollum earned his first NHL victory on Jan. 18, 2015 versus Buffalo. In three career games with Detroit, he shows a 2.96 GAA and a 1-0-0 record.
Grand Rapids' all-time leader in goaltender games played, minutes and saves entering this season, McCollum became the Griffins' all-time winningest goalie following a 4-2 victory at Cleveland on Feb. 2. McCollum has spent eight of his nine pro seasons in the Red Wings organization and owns a 121-104-19 record, a 2.78 GAA and eight shutouts in 260 career appearances with the Griffins since 2009. A 2013 Calder Cup champion, McCollum adds a 12-9 record and a 2.53 GAA in 23 Calder Cup Playoff games with Grand Rapids.
McCollum shows an all-time AHL mark of 133-106-23 alongside a 2.73 GAA and nine shutouts in 278 appearances. Last season, his lone campaign outside the organization, he compiled a 1-0-0 record, a 1.50 GAA and a 0.950 save percentage in one game with the Stockton Heat before showing a 11-2-4 mark, a 2.10 GAA and a 0.926 save percentage in 17 contests with the Charlotte Checkers.
A native of Sanborn, N.Y., McCollum was recently named Grand Rapids' AHL Man of the Year nominee for his community involvement, the fourth time he's earned such distinction.
The Red Wings are in Columbus to play the Blue Jackets tonight at 7 p.m.
The Griffins continue their push for the playoffs on Friday and Saturday when they travel to take on the Pacific Division-leading Tucson Roadrunners. Both games will start at 10:05 p.m. EDT.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2018
- Admirals Get Important Win over Chicago - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Shutout by Cleveland 4-0 - Iowa Wild
- Late Comeback Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Coast to 4-0 Win over Wild - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Rally in Potential Playoff Preview - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lafferty Nets First Pro Goal in Penguins' 5-3 Defeat of Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Rally to Top First-Place Phantoms - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Condors Host Ontario Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Barracuda Sign Forward Ivan Chekhovich to ATO - San Jose Barracuda
- Roadrunners and Banner Health Join Forces for Superhero Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Capitals Recall Bowey and Boyd from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Fan Appreciation Month Begins Wednesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Evan Jasper to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- New Jersey Assigns First-Round Pick McLeod to Binghamton - Binghamton Devils
- Forward Carsen Twarynski Signed to ATO - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- St. Denis, Bailey and Jones all score in front of 7,451 fans on Tuesday morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Checkers Announce Pet Weekend on April 7 and 8 - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Release Caleb Herbert and Sam Warning from PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Tom McCollum Recalled by Red Wings - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Vegas NHL Draft Pick Hague Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Belleville Senators Announce Special Fan Appreciation Games - Belleville Senators
- Bid on Hawaiian Night Jerseys - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Sign Marcus Crawford to Two-Year Deal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sabres Recall Nylander, Porter from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Weekly Wrap-Up - Toronto Marlies
- P-Bruins Miss Chance to Clinch Postseason Spot in 3-2 Loss - Providence Bruins
- Tickets for First Round of 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs on Sale Now - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Bears Hit I-81 to Battle Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Amerks, Monroe County Partner for Refresh Recycling Night April 11 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers, Extreme Ice Center Launch "Mini Checkers" - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Ink Defenseman Tariq Hammond to ATO - Binghamton Devils
- Chris Terry Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Laval Rocket
- Christoffer Ehn Reassigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- T-Birds Make First Ever Stop in Belleville Wednesday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Senators Reassign Formenton to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Bruins this Morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Delia Assigned, Glass Recalled - Rockford IceHogs
- Week 26 Report: Hogs Win 4th Straight, Close in on Playoffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirri Returns to the NHL - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.