T-Birds Embark on Second 3-In-3 of Season
December 1, 2022 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (7-8-0-4) begin their second three-game weekend of the season on Friday night as they welcome a Western Conference opponent in regular season play for the first time. The Rockford IceHogs (9-7-0-1), the AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks, will be on hand for the first of two meetings between the clubs this season. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. inside the MassMutual Center. Springfield will travel to Rockford for a rematch on Friday, Jan. 20.
The Thunderbirds look to rebound from a trio of tightly-contested defeats over the last week. Springfield got two more splendid performances from goaltender Joel Hofer, who compiled a microscopic 1.96 goals-against average and .938 save percentage over seven November starts. Despite Hofer's 63 saves against Hershey on Wednesday and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Saturday, the T-Birds' offensive sticks came up just a little short, falling 2-1 against the Bears and 3-2 in a shootout against the Penguins.
The T-Birds battled valiantly on the road on Sunday in Bridgeport, erasing a 4-2 deficit against the Islanders in the final period, but the Islanders got the puck luck on a game-winning power-play goal with just over three minutes to play in a 6-4 triumph.
Familiar opponents round out the weekend slate for the T-Birds, as they visit the Providence Bruins on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. at the Amica Mutual Pavilion in Providence. Then Springfield will make a second consecutive Sunday visit to Bridgeport in a rematch with the Islanders at 3:00 p.m. at Total Mortgage Arena.
Through the season's first 19 games, Matthew Highmore leads all T-Birds with 20 points, including a team-high 16 assists. Fellow first-year T-Bird Martin Frk also is clicking at a point-per-game pace with 17 points in 17 games.
After this busy weekend, the T-Birds return home for back-to-back games on Dec. 9 and Dec. 10 against two more Central Division opponents, the Grand Rapids Griffins and Milwaukee Admirals, respectively.
Thunderbirds fans can reserve their seats for the 2022-23 season and lock in the best prices and member benefits by calling (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visiting www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
Images from this story
Springfield Thunderbirds prepare to enter the ice
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2022
- Davies' Heroics Sends Amerks Past Monsters in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Cleveland Falls to Rochester 4-3 in Hard Fought Overtime Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Detroit Recalls Austin Czarnik - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Stomp Moose in Shoot-Out - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Outlasted by Milwaukee in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs Teddy Bear Toss, Josiah Slavin Hat Night Coming December 10 - Rockford IceHogs
- Phillips Named AHL Player of the Month - Calgary Wranglers
- Hunter Shepard Named AHL Goalie of the Month - Hershey Bears
- Phillips, Walker, Shepard Named AHL Award Winners for November - AHL
- T-Birds Embark on Second 3-In-3 of Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- P-Bruins & RIPTA Team up for Toy Drive for Hasbro Children's Hospital - Providence Bruins
- Series Preview vs. CV: December 2 & 3 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Reign Announce Multiple Transactions - Ontario Reign
- Bears Return Kim and O'Neil to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Detroit Assigns Goaltender Magnus Hellberg to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Assign Goaltender Daniil Tarasov to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Announce Details for 2022 Holiday Games, Shopping - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mitchell Recalled to Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Andrej Sustr from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Thursday, December 1 at Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- San Diego Drops Game to Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Abbotsford Canucks Sweep Bakersfield with 4-3 Comeback Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- Barracuda Tamed by Wild, 5-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Wild Sweep Barracuda, Win 5-3 in San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Win Streak Reaches Seven with 3-1 Victory over San Diego - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Sign F Sam Bitten
- Blues Sign F Mathias Laferriere to One-Year Extension
- T-Birds' M&T Bank "Better Together" Community Initiatives Raise $131,000 in 22-23 Season
- Will Bitten Named T-Birds' IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Springfield Thunderbirds Raise $30,000 for Rays of Hope