Win Streak Reaches Seven with 3-1 Victory over San Diego
December 1, 2022 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Colorado Eagles News Release
SAN DIEGO, CA. - Colorado forward Ryan Wagner netted a pair of goals, while goaltender Justus Annunen made 27 saves on 28 shots, as the Eagles defeated the San Diego Gulls 3-1 on Wednesday. The victory pushes Colorado's league-best winning streak to seven games and now gives the Eagles points in the standings in 11 consecutive contests (10-0-1). Forward Cedric Pare scored the game-winner in his Colorado debut, while defenseman Nate Clurman notched his first AHL point of the season with an assist. The Eagles also generated a season-high 52 shots in the win.
Colorado would net the game's first goal when Wagner weaved his way through the left-wing circle before cutting to the low slot and sliding a backhander past San Diego goaltender Lukas Dostal. The goal was Wagner's first of the season and gave the Eagles a 1-0 edge at the 11:16 mark of the first period. Colorado would go on to outshoot the Gulls 19-9 in the opening 20 minutes of play and headed to the first intermission still on top, 1-0.
San Diego would draw even when a power play early in the second period set up forward Rocco Grimaldi to light the lamp with a wrister from the right-wing circle, tying the game at 1-1 at the 4:38 mark of the middle frame.
The Eagles would jump back in the lead on a power play of their own, as Pare hammered home a one-timer from the right-wing circle to give Colorado a 2-1 advantage with 8:15 left to play in the period. The goal was Pare's first as an Eagle and his second AHL tally of the season, after netting a goal earlier in the season with the Belleville Senators. The Eagles would heap another 18 shots on goal in the second stanza and carried a 2-1 lead into the second intermission.
The third period would see both teams exchange several quality chances, with Annunen and Dostal keeping the back of the net clean. As time wound down in the contest, and with the Gulls on a power play, San Diego would pull Dostal in favor of the extra attacker. The move would backfire, however, as Wagner forced a turnover at center ice and whipped the puck into the empty net to secure the 3-1 victory with only 20 seconds left to play.
Colorado outshot the Gulls 52-28, as the Eagles finished 1-for-4 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles will be back in action when they travel to take on the Ontario Reign on Friday, December 2nd at 8:00pm MT at Toyota Arena in Ontario, California. Tickets for all regular season games are on sale now and start at just $21. You can find more information on ticket packages, theme tickets, and promotional nights, by visiting ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the ticket department at (970) 686-7468.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2022
- Davies' Heroics Sends Amerks Past Monsters in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Cleveland Falls to Rochester 4-3 in Hard Fought Overtime Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Detroit Recalls Austin Czarnik - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Stomp Moose in Shoot-Out - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Outlasted by Milwaukee in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs Teddy Bear Toss, Josiah Slavin Hat Night Coming December 10 - Rockford IceHogs
- Phillips Named AHL Player of the Month - Calgary Wranglers
- Hunter Shepard Named AHL Goalie of the Month - Hershey Bears
- Phillips, Walker, Shepard Named AHL Award Winners for November - AHL
- T-Birds Embark on Second 3-In-3 of Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- P-Bruins & RIPTA Team up for Toy Drive for Hasbro Children's Hospital - Providence Bruins
- Series Preview vs. CV: December 2 & 3 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Reign Announce Multiple Transactions - Ontario Reign
- Bears Return Kim and O'Neil to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Detroit Assigns Goaltender Magnus Hellberg to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Assign Goaltender Daniil Tarasov to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Announce Details for 2022 Holiday Games, Shopping - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mitchell Recalled to Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Andrej Sustr from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Thursday, December 1 at Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- San Diego Drops Game to Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Abbotsford Canucks Sweep Bakersfield with 4-3 Comeback Victory - Abbotsford Canucks
- Barracuda Tamed by Wild, 5-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Wild Sweep Barracuda, Win 5-3 in San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Win Streak Reaches Seven with 3-1 Victory over San Diego - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Colorado Nets Two Third-Period Goals to Top Reign, 4-2
- Eagles Sign Forward Ryan Sandelin to Two-Year AHL Contract
- Roadrunners Top Eagles 2-1 in OT, as Colorado Clinches Playoff Berth
- Colorado Eagles Release McCourt, Cutler
- Tucson Scores Seven Unanswered to Thump Colorado, 7-1