T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - Coming into Saturday's matchup with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (5-5-1-0), the Springfield Thunderbirds (7-1-0-2) looked to increase their win streak to seven games and point streak to ten games. Despite three power play chances in the third period, the T-Birds could not overcome a second period deficit and fell in regulation for the first time in a 5-2 loss.
The Sound Tigers entered play trying to atone for a loss despite getting 42 shots on goal on Friday night. It appeared they took a 1-0 lead on a power play, but a Michael Dal Colle shot was deemed to hit the crossbar. The play was whistled a goal at ice level before a Sound Tiger swept the rebound into the empty net. That call would ultimately get reversed after an instant replay review.
Even though the T-Birds caught a break in that sequence, it was only a temporary reprieve, as Dal Colle scored on within a minute of his near-goal, beating Chris Driedger and giving Bridgeport a 1-0 lead 11:35 into the first period.
The Thunderbirds' power play answered again less than three minutes later, as Dryden Hunt tied it up at 1-1 with his team-leading fourth power play strike of the year. Jayce Hawryluk and Anthony Greco picked up the helpers when Greco's right-wing shot hit Hawryluk and skittered to Hunt between the circles.
In the second period, the Sound Tigers scored three unanswered goals. The first goal came at 8:40 off the stick of Mike Sislo, his fourth of the season. Tom Kuhnhackl and Parker Wotherspoon both picked up assists on the play.
Seven minutes later and just over 30 seconds after Joel Lowry was called for tripping to give the Sound Tigers a 5-on-3 advantage, Josh Ho-Sang picked up his first goal of the season, jabbing a rebound past Driedger at 13:27.
The final tally of the period came at 18:25 when Kuhnhackl picked up his second point and first goal of the night, powering to the net and jamming the puck through Driedger, giving Bridgeport a 4-1 lead.
With 7:43 left in the third period on the power play, the Thunderbirds finally answered on the man advantage when Joel Lowry tipped a shot from Patrick Bajkov at the right point. Lowry's goal extended his point streak to seven games. Jacob MacDonald earned the secondary assist to make it 4-2 at 12:26.
Bridgeport would not be denied though, and just 23 seconds later, Kuhnhackl won a foot race with MacDonald and scored a goal of his own, beating Driedger with a slick backhand deke from point blank range to finish off the scoring..
Driedger finished his night with 29 saves in the effort. Springfield's team-record six-game win streak and nine-game point streak came to a close with the loss.
Up next, the Thunderbirds hit the road to Allentown for a matchup with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at the PPL Center on Friday, Nov. 9. Puck drop is slated for just after 7:05 p.m. ET. Springfield will then travel to Hershey for a tangle with the Bears on Saturday, Nov. 10.
Springfield Thunderbirds fans are encouraged to visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com to learn more about 2018-19 Thunderbirds Season Ticket Memberships. Packages include a wide range of benefits, including the lowest prices for the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield. For more information or to order now, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Foundation Donates $15,000 to the Rays of Hope
- Thunderbirds Honored by AHL for Ticket Sales Excellence
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 19-20 Season
- Springfield Thunderbirds Team up to Provide Meals to Local Hospitals
- Paul Thompson Named Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year