Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1
(Hershey, PA)- The Hershey Bears battled the Rochester Americans on home ice and dropped a 4-1 decision on Saturday night at Giant Center.
The Bears continued the recent theme of scoring early in the first period. At 3:35, Derek Hulak received credit for his second goal of the season after a crisp redirect of a Connor Hobbs shot. Hobbs' received his team-leading sixth assist of the season on the play. Hershey goaltender Ilya Samsonov earned the starting nod after receiving the victory last night in Rochester. Samsonov was under siege in the first period and stopped 14 of 15 shots. The Americans cracked the scoreboard at 18:59 with a sharp-angle shot past Samsonov from Zach Redmond to tie the score before intermission.
Into the middle period, the Amerks tallied twice to grab a 3-1 advantage. Immediately after a Jonas Siegenthaler delay of game minor expired, Redmond scored his second of the night. Redmond unleashed a bullet through a maze of bodies and past Samsonov at the 11:34 mark. At 16:24, Rochester extended their lead on a shorthanded 2-on-1 rush. After an initial save by Samsonov, Kevin Porter scored his third goal of the season after depositing the rebound. Shots on goal were 26-17 Americans after 40 minutes.
Rochester added one more in the final period at 7:19. After an initial shot from William Borgen, Dalton Smith drove the net and scored on the rebound to round out a 4-1 final. Final shots on goal were 34-27 Americans. Hershey's special teams finished 0-for-3 on the power play and 4-for-4 on the penalty kill. The perfect night on the kill extended the team's streak to six straight games without allowing a power play goal.
The Hershey Bears return to the ice November 4 with their first match up this season against the Hartford Wolf Pack. It's Hershey's Hockey Fight's Cancer Night at Giant Center. The First 5,000 fans will receive a lavender T-Shirt, courtesy of Penn State Health. Joining the efforts of the National Hockey League, Hockey Fights Cancer unites the hockey community in support of cancer patients and their families. Players will be wearing lavender jerseys during the game that will be auctioned off post game to benefit the American Cancer Society and The Four Diamonds Fund. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.