Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1
LAVAL - The Laval Rocket and the Utica Comets faced off for the first of two games this weekend at Place Bell on Friday night during the Hockey Fights Cancer game, in which the Rocket were defeated by their divisional rival by a score of 3-1.
The American Hockey League affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks were the first to get on the board as Guillaume Brisebois sprung Jonathan Dahlen on a breakaway in the final five minutes of the first period, on which he sent the puck just over Charlie Lindgren's pad to make it 1-0 for the Comets. Though Utica had the period's only goal, Joël Bouchard's troops had their own chances to score as well- including a one-timer from Brett Kulak in the slot that was stopped by Ivan Kulbakov.
Two more goals from the visitors in the back half of the second period sent goaltender Michael McNiven into the game in relief of Lindgren, who stopped 15 of the 18 shots he faced. Although they were down the Rocket were not out, as they had two near-goals of their own immediately after Utica's third goal. A shot from Laval that rang off the post and a breakaway that was stopped by Kulbakov kept the Comets ahead by three after 40 minutes of play.
"Every game I'm just waiting for my opportunity and I had one tonight," said McNiven of getting into the game. "I feel like my job is to stop the bleeding and to give my team a chance to come back and I feel that I did that tonight."
A powerplay goal from Kulak early in the third reduced Laval's deficit to two, as he avenged his stopped one-timer from the first period with another one-timer that snuck by Utica's screened goaltender. Though they outshot their opponent 15-3 in the final twenty minutes, the Rocket were unable to come from behind to tie the game.
"Tomorrow's a new day [against] the same team, so we know what they're going to bring," explained McNiven after the game. "We just have to bring it more."
LAV: Kulak (Belzile, Fleury)
UTI: Dahlen (Brisebois, McEneny) | MacEwen (Sifers, Juolevi) | Carcone (Kero)
LAV: Lindgren (15/18) | McNiven (8/8) | UTI: Kulbakov (31/32)
Rocket Powerplay: 1/3|Rocket Penalty Kill: 3/3
Three Stars: 1. Jonathan Dahlen - UTI | 2. Guillaume Brisebois -UTI | 3. Cale Fleury - LAV
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Jevpalovs Scores Highlight Reel Goal in Dramatic Overtime Victory to End Season
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1
- Rocket Score Four Goals in the Third Period to Defeat Hershey 5-2 in Front of 8,643 Fans
- Cleveland Defeats Laval 3-2 with Late Third Period Goal