Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse
The Syracuse Crunch used a big second period to beat the Belleville Senators 6-1 Saturday night.
Filip Gustavsson made nine saves before being replaced by Jake Paterson who turned aside six shots for the Sens while Andreas Englund scored. Eddie Pasquale stopped 26 shots for the Crunch as Cory Conacher (2) Carter Verhaeghe, Mitch Hults, Andy Andreoff and Taylor Raddysh, had goals.
Despite outshooting Syracuse 7-4 in the first, the Senators found themselves down by a goal after 20 minutes as Verhaeghe scored just 3:37 into the game on the power play after Boston Leier was called for interference as he used Jordan Murray as a screen to beat Gustavsson.
The Crunch took the second period by storm scoring three times in the opening eight minutes of the frame. Hults scored his first goal of the season at 2:00 on a shot from a tight angle that Gustavsson never even saw before Andreoff made it 3-0 at 7:18 as he tapped in a rebound after the Crunch skated onto an odd-man rush.
It was 4-0 38 seconds later as Raddysh redirected Nolan Valleau's point shot past Gustavsson to end his night early for the second night in a row. The Crunch added a fifth goal with 3:52 left in the period as Conacher wired a slap shot past Gustavsson before Belleville got on the board through Englund as he wacked in the puck backdoor after Andrew Sturtz's backhand pass through the crease.
Syracuse extended its lead to 6-1 at 8:34 of the third as Conacher scored his second of the night as he skated behind the Sens net before firing a low wrister from the slot that evaded traffic and found its way in.
Senators defenceman Jonathan Racine made his Belleville debut after signing a PTO earlier in the day. Belleville is winless in six games in Syracuse since the start of last season.
Belleville is back in action Friday where they open a five-game homestand against the Toronto Marlies. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Ottawa Announces Four Re-Signings and Addition of Shaw
- Ottawa Senators Busy at 2020 NHL Draft
- Senators Release Community Impact Report
- Belleville Senators Forward Josh Norris Voted Winner of Dudley (Red) Garrett Award as AHL's Outstanding Rookie
- BSens Announce 2019-20 Team Awards