Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting
The Roadrunners suffered their second regulation loss of the season Friday night at the Budweiser Events Center, edged 3-2 by the Colorado Eagles, the game's deciding goal buried with 2:34 left in regulation.
What was the first-ever meeting between the clubs was also the first of many; 11 games remain on the docket between the two, including a rematch Saturday night.
"I think the team is disappointed with how the game ended," Dysin Mayo said following the affair. "We were frustrated with giving it up late there in the end, so I think we'll be excited to get back out there tomorrow."
Tucson was first to find the scoreboard Friday, Trevor Murphy wristing home his third goal of the season, burying a much-welcomed power play goal to give the Roadrunners a 1-0 lead exactly 10 minutes into the contest.
Just over four minutes later, Colorado's Scott Kosmachuk tied the score 1-1.
In the early stages of the second, Lane Pederson put the finishing touches on a gorgeous odd-man rush sequence that saw four players touch the puck in a three-second span, giving the Roadrunners a 2-1 lead, netting his second of the year.
With 6:19 to play in the middle frame, Colorado tied the game once again with a goal from Ty Lewis.
The third period remained scoreless until the final three minutes, when the Eagles connected on a power play, Andrew Agozzino burying a rebound past a sprawling Hunter Miska to give Colorado a late lead they would not relinquish.
"I think special teams were a big part of the game, and obviously on the penalty kill we want to be a little better," Mayo added. "We were pushing the pace for a good part of the game, but once we got up, we kind of sat back and let them come back, so that's something we need to change for tomorrow, we need to play a full 60 minutes."
Miska stopped 27 of the 30 shots he faced, and is now 3-2-1 on the year.
The Roadrunners' record currently stands at a 6-2-0-1 mark.
The teams will reconvene Saturday night at the Budweiser Events Center, where the puck is scheduled to drop just after 6:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Coyotes Sign Dysin Mayo to One-Year, Two-Way Contract
- Roadrunners Announce 2019-2020 Schedule
- Coyotes Sign Bunting and Fasching to Two-Year, Two-Way Contracts
- Prospect Camp Update: Developing, Young and "Old"
- Jeremy Gregoire Signs Two-Year Contract with Roadrunners