Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win
Charlotte, NC - The Providence Bruins fell to the Charlotte Checkers at Bojangles' Coliseum Saturday night 3-2 in game two of their two-game road trip. The P-Bruins got goals from Peter Cehlarik and Ryan Fitzgerald while Zane McIntyre made his sixth start of the season in net.
Ryan Donato had a chance to give Providence an early lead, as he was awarded a penalty shot after a Checkers defender tripped him. Alex Nedeljkovic stood his ground and poked the puck away from Donato on the attempt, keeping the P-Bruins off the scoreboard. Charlotte grabbed a 1-0 lead on the power play at 8:55 as Trevor Carrick beat McIntyre on a shot he never saw. Carrick ripped a snapshot with space to shoot from the point, and with Morgan Geekie screening the puck hit the back of the net for his second goal of the season. With six minutes to play in the first, the P-Bruins had a chance to tie things up on the power play, but again were their own worst enemy. Saku Maenalanen stole the puck at the blueline and started a 3-on-2 shorthanded rush. The puck went from Maenalanen to Patrick Brown to Michal Cajkovsky, who went five-hole on McIntyre for a shorthanded goal that gave the Checkers a 2-0 lead after one.
The P-Bruins capitalized on their fourth power play of the night, as a nice stretch pass from Jakub Zboril created a breakaway for Cehlarik. In alone, Cehlarik whiffed on his first shot attempt, which got Nedeljkovic to commit and be out of position. A sharp angle shot from the goalline somehow went in for Cehlarik's first goal of the season, trimming the Providence deficit to one. The Checkers had plenty of chances to score, but the P-Bruins penalty kill stopped five Charlotte power plays in the period and kept it a 2-1 Checkers lead into the second intermission.
Charlotte regained a two-goal lead 7:51 into the final period on a breakaway from Andrew Poturalski. Martin Necas chipped the puck out of his own zone from the right wing corner, and Poturalski used his speed to beat a Bruins defender to the puck and create the chance. He beat McIntyre's glove for his third goal of the season to make it 3-1 Checkers. Fitzgerald made it a one-goal game again at 11:14, showing off soft hands in the crease. Colby Cave brought the puck around the net and sent the puck to Cody Goloubef in the right slot. He quickly found Fitzgerald in the crease, who notched his second goal of the season. That would be as close as Providence could make it, however, as Charlotte walked away with a 3-2 win.
McIntyre stopped 17-20 shots while Nedeljkovic stopped 26-28. Providence was 1-9 on the power play and 8-9 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action at the Dunk Friday at 7:05pm against the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins as they begin a three-in-three weekend.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.