Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m.
The two oldest teams in the American Hockey League meet tonight for Rochester's lone visit to Giant Center this season. The Bears enter tonight's game with three straight wins, and have claimed points in six of the past seven games. The Amerks had their eight game point streak snapped last night as Hershey earned the victory at the Blue Cross Arena in the first half of the home-and-home.
11/03/2018 - Hershey Bears (5-6-0-1) vs. Rochester Americans (7-3-1-0)
November 3, 2018 | 7:00 PM | Game 13 | Giant Center
Referees: Mitch Dunning (43), Michael Markovic (47)
Linesmen: Bill Lyons (27), Scott Pomento (25)
Broadcast Information (Pre-game 6:30 p.m.)
RADIO: WQIC-100.1 FM, Fox Sports 1460-AM, WOYK-1350 AM, Zack Fisch, the Voice of the Bears, and Freddy Cassivi on the call.
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS
LAST TIME OUT:
The Bears and Rochester Americans met for the 457th time ever in the regular season last night, and the Chocolate and White came away with a 4-2 win. Amerk's Zach Redmond was whistled for delay of game only five seconds in after flipping the puck out of play, and the Bears went to work on the power play. Mike Sgarbossa deflected a Travis Boyd shot to open the scoring at :57. Riley Barber doubled Hershey's lead at 16:44 with a snipe immediately after an offensive zone face-off win. Later in the period, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby made it 3-0 Hershey on a pretty toe-drag move during a 2-on-1 rush at 18:24. The Americans added two in the third period to pull within one after goals by C.J. Smith at 5:47 and Victor Olofsson at 17:18. Liam O'Brien hit the empty net with six seconds left to round out a 4-2 final. Ilya Samsonov recorded the win in goal and stopped a career-high 36 shots.
Hershey forward Mike Sgarbossa has adjusted well to the Giant Center ice. The new Bears forward scored in both contests at Giant Center last weekend, giving him goals in all four of Hershey's home games thus far this season. The Ontario native is second on the team in goals with five, and also is tied for first on the team with eight points.
THE BOYD IS BACK IN TOWN:
Travis Boyd was assigned to Hershey on a long-term injury conditioning assignment on Nov. 1 and joined the Chocolate and White last night in Rochester. Boyd assisted on Sgarbossa's opening goal only 57 seconds into the game. Boyd finished the 2017-18 season as a member of the Washington Capitals during their run to a Stanley Cup. In two playoff games. He has now skated in 215 games with the Bears and has recorded 165 points (53 goals, 112 assists).
Vitek Vanecek is sidelined this weekend with an upper-body injury, leading to the call up of Parker Milner. Milner enters this season as the reigning ECHL Goaltender of the Year after posting a 28-7-0 record with a sparkling 1.86 goals against average and .929 save percentage with the South Carolina Stingrays. Dating back the last two seasons, Milner has played 11 games with the Chocolate and White. His last AHL apperance was over a year ago, as he stopped 18 shots to earn the win over Providence on Oct. 28, 2017.
PENALTY KILL PERFECTION:
The Bears have been perfect on the penalty kill in five straight games, killing 20 penalties in that time. Hershey's last power play goal allowed was on Oct. 19 at Charlotte when Janne Kuokkanen scored at 18:37 of the opening period. Dating back to that game, Hershey is perfect on the kill in 24 straight attempts. Hershey's penalty kill is now 42-for-51 (82.4%) and ranks 12th in the AHL.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Capitals Re-Assign Goaltender Ilya Samsonov to Hershey
- Vanecek Shuts out Bridgeport, Series Tied 1-1
- Capitals Recall Goaltender Ilya Samsonov from Hershey
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 p.m. - Atlantic Division Semifinals Game 2
- Bears Drop Game 1 in Double Overtime to Sound Tigers