Chicago Tops Moose 4-1
The Manitoba Moose (6-5-0-0) and Chicago Wolves (7-3-0-1) clashed for the second time in as many nights at Bell MTS Place on Saturday. Chicago opened the scoring 7:27 into the game when Brandon Pirri out-waited Ken Appleby and lifted the puck into the net over the sprawling Moose netminder. The Moose had a couple of good looks on a mid-period power play, but couldn't tie the game. That proved costly as Stefan Matteau escaped on a breakaway at the end of the man-advantage and scored to give Chicago a 2-0 lead. The Moose penalty kill kept the score at 2-0, halting the Wolves on a two-minute two-man advantage to close out the period.
Chicago added to its lead early in the second with help from a couple of local products. Brooks Macek scored the Wolves' third goal, with fellow Winnipegger Keegan Kolesar factoring in on the assist. The Moose penalty killers shut down another five-on-three disadvantage to keep the home side within striking distance. Appleby also did his part in the waning moments, stopping a breakaway opportunity to maintain the score at 3-0 Chicago after 40 minutes of play.
The Moose got on the board 3:51 into the final frame as Seth Griffith came off the wing and fired a shot over the shoulder of Oscar Dansk. The Moose turned up the heat and were awarded a power play to follow up the goal. Despite a great chance for Michael Spacek, Manitoba was unable to knot up the game with the opportunity. Chicago restored the three-goal advantage with 9:43 left in the contest on Macek's second tally of the night as the Wolves claimed a 4-1 victory.
Seth Griffith has points in two straight games with five points (2G, 3A).
Cameron Schilling has points in two straight games with three assists.
Michael Spacek led the Moose with six shots on goal. Quotable
Defenceman Nelson Nogier - "I think we came a little bit slow out of the gates. As a team we know we have to play it simple and pay attention to details. I think we were a little slow and lacked in those categories tonight."
Head Coach Pascal Vincent - "I like the way we finished the game. The mistakes that we made, we can fix them. I understand how we move and I understand the mistakes. So at the end of the day the result is not positive, but it's positive in the sense that we know what needs to be improve and the players know."
Game Summary: https://mbmoo.se/2qtcwf0
Highlights and Post-Game Coverage: moosehockey.com/moosetv
Photo Gallery: https://mbmoo.se/2RscmjE
The Moose make their annual visit to Assiniboine Park Zoo to spend time with fans Sunday afternoon from 1:30-3:00 p.m. at the Journey to Churchill exhibit.
The team returns to game action against the Grand Rapids Griffins Thursday and Saturday at Bell MTS Place. Saturday's game is Retro Night featuring a specialty jersey and other retro-themed surprises. Tickets for next week's games are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.