Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage
San Jose, Calif. - The San Jose Barracuda (8-1-0-1) and San Antonio Rampage (St. Louis Blues) (2-9-0-0) did battle on Friday for the final time during the 2018-19 season. The teams were fresh off a highly contested matchup in San Antonio exactly one week ago that the Barracuda won 2-1. The 'Cuda came in having won five out of their last six games and their success would continue, as San Jose was victorious by a final score of 3-1 at SAP Center at San Jose.
The first period was void of goal-scoring, as goaltenders Ville Husso (Rampage) and Josef Korenar (Barracuda) stole the show. Each netminder made nine saves in the first frame and controlled the play for their respective clubs. The 'Cuda would get into penalty trouble near the end of the first period, when Maxim Letunov took two consecutive penalties, the second of which bled into the second period of action.
Only 20 seconds after killing the Letunov high-sticking minor, the Barracuda would break the scoreless tie. After a booming Keaton Middleton slapshot from the blue line, Lukas Radil (1) cleaned up a rebound and tucked it behind Husso for a 1-0 lead with 18:57 remaining in the second period. The Barracuda would strike again at the 11:35 mark of the second when Letunov attempted a wraparound which was saved but bounced to the tape of Even Weinger (4) who went five-hole and gave San Jose a 2-0 lead. Neither team took a penalty in the second period, but the Barracuda scored twice to take a 2-0 lead into the dressing room.
The Barracuda continued where they left off once the third period started, as clunky play in front of the Rampage net led to a bouncing puck that ricocheted past Husso. Jeffrey Viel (1) was credited with the goal, which gave the 'Cuda a three-goal advantage with 17:03 remaining in the third. The Rampage would get on the board in the third, with a beautiful backhand finish by Samuel Blais (1). Josef Korenar took over Friday allowing only one goal on 23 shots. Korenar got his team-leading fifth win, while improving to an impressive 5-0-0 on the season.
The Barracuda are back in action on Monday, as the welcome the Stockton Heat to SAP Center here in San Jose. Puck drop will be at 7 PM between the Pacific Division rivals in their third meeting of the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Comeback Thriller: Phantoms Rally for Incredible Overtime Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Fall to San Antonio But Stick It to Cancer by Raising Funds and Awareness - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wins Its Fourth Straight Game, Edging Rockford 2-1 in Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Topple Division Leaders on Late Goal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chicago Tops Moose 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Lose to Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Pummel Senators, 6-1, for Weekend Sweep - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Fall in Overtime to Phantoms, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Kuhnhackl scores twice and adds an assist as Bridgeport hands Springfield its first regulation loss this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Four Unanswered Goals Gives Amerks 4-1 Win in Hershey - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Earn 3-2 Win over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Senators Fall to Crunch in Syracuse - Belleville Senators
- Americans Score Four Unanswered, Down Bears 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Overcome Second Period Deficit in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Macek, Wolves Whack Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Beat Bruins for 10th Win of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Complete Two-Game Sweep of P-Bruins with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Rocket Powerplay Hands Utica a 2-1 Loss in Overtime - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Tucker Poolman to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Fall to Rocket in Overtime - Utica Comets
- Kossila Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Win a Trip to Tampa Courtesy of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite and Byrne Dairy - Syracuse Crunch
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward A.J. Greer to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #10 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sens Add Racine on a PTO - Belleville Senators
- Reign Host Hockey Fights Cancer Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Stick It to Cancer Presented by Dignity Health St. Joseph's Medical Center Tonight at 6PM as Heat Host San Antonio - Stockton Heat
- Condors Patriotic Night Tonight at 7 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Americans at Bears, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Crunch, November 3 - Belleville Senators
- Rampage Open Road Trip with Loss to Barracuda - San Antonio Rampage
- Barracuda Notch Third Win in a Row, Sweep Rampage - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Hold off Wolves 5-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Tucson Edged Late in Colorado; Falls 3-2 in Teams' Inaugural Meeting - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comets Defeat Rocket 3-1 - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Rallies to Defeat Roadrunners, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Defense Shines But Griffins Fall in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Edged in Playoff Opener, 6-5
- Barracuda Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule
- Barracuda Fall 3-2 in Regular-Season Finale
- Barracuda Put Eagles Playoff Hopes in Doubt After 3-1 Win
- Barracuda Trainer Will Leonard and Sara Leonard Celebrate Birth of Baby Girl Twins